Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deggs37

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2006
Ohio
Hey guys, I have had my MacBook Pro since May now and I have noticed that the internet on safari is very slow, almost like dial up. My downloads are fine it is just the surfing the net part. I know that it is not my modem or anything like that responsible because I have used windows computers fine. I have also tried booting up into windows from the macbook and the internet is normal on there as well. I have tried using FireFox and Opera on the mac and it is just as slow. I have the 1.8 macbook pro with 2 gigs of ram and a 5400rpm drive. Any suggestions?

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Hmm. I have a MacBook Pro as well, but I have yet to have any issues with internet connection. I do have the newer 2.0 Ghz though, so that may have something to do with it. I'd contact your ISP, and if that doesn't work, then you should try contacting Apple.

deggs37

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2006
Ohio
I did two tests on each

Mac - Safari
1st - 4800kbps
2nd - 289kbps:eek:

Windows - Internet Explorer
1st - 4400kbps
2nd - 4300kbps

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
deggs37 said:
I did two tests on each

Mac - Safari
1st - 4800kbps
2nd - 289kbps:eek:

Windows - Internet Explorer
1st - 4400kbps
2nd - 4300kbps
Hmmm. Strange indeed. I would try a couple more tests in Safari, no change then call Apple.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
I also have noticed that my internet is slow in my MacBook. I ran speed tests after reading the replies above and i am currently 83.6% slower than other people that have the same internet service as me (Cox High Speed Internet):mad: Could it be a problem with the internal build in airport card? Cause my HP laptop is very fast on the internet!

Current Speed test numbers
Download 681kbps
Upload 405kbps
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
So this'll throw a wrench in the mess... My PowerBook (see sig) does the same thing with Safari, unless it's working off of an actual Airport Base Station... It's slow even with my iMac G5 acting as a Base Station.

ukmacpro

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2008
London
I've been having this problem on my Macbook Pro as well... The internet is really fast on my Macbook Air, but seem significantly slower when on my Macbook Pro...

Any ideas?!

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
I've been having this problem on my Macbook Pro as well... The internet is really fast on my Macbook Air, but seem significantly slower when on my Macbook Pro...

Any ideas?!

Same here on a MacBook I'm borrowing from a teacher.

Downloads are fast - 1MB a sec - but the internet surfing is slow. I'll try firefox and report back.

Man in Kauai

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2009
Opening web pages is slow

I have a MacBook Pro. Only 6 months old. For some reason after yesterday when I open web pages in Safari it takes 30 seconds or longer to open the page. It happens with almost any page except google. Google opens right away. I downloaded TinkerTool but it still is slow. When I click to any web page the blue line gets stuck at the start of the web address and most often i have to click again to pull up the page. :confused:

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
1. Download OnyX (a free maintenance utility).
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582

2. Open OnyX and Click Cancel on these two Alert Panels:
-Cancel the S.M.A.R.T. Box
-Cancel the Startup Volume Box

3. Enter your Password

4. Click on the Cleaning Tab

5. In each tab, execute the command. Check all the boxes in each tab. When its finished in that tab, it will ask you to reboot. Say NO. Go on to the next tab and repeat until all tabs are done. THEN REBOOT.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Check the DNS servers for your Ethernet/AirPort connections. If you're getting an 85.255.x.x address you might have the DNS Changer trojan. While the site claims that its only downloadable on "certain" websites, its cropped up in other places as well. You can also run ClamXav on the system and have it check if you have the trojan installed.

KenClarke

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
Check the DNS servers for your Ethernet/AirPort connections. If you're getting an 85.255.x.x address you might have the DNS Changer trojan. While the site claims that its only downloadable on "certain" websites, its cropped up in other places as well. You can also run ClamXav on the system and have it check if you have the trojan installed.

checked my DNS settings, found an old entry in their for our old wireless router. Now its working great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.