Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doubclik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2003
ok, not a bad problem to have. I finally scraped together the green for a new 20gb pod, but all i'm hearing is the looming launch of a 40gb. What do i do? do i wait ( i've waited too long already, but thats alot of storage!)

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
First I would check out the MacRumors Buyers Guide ~ https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ ~ arn has setup a very easy guide with his personal recomendations based on the facts and timelinees of a product. It also seems like this Apple Music service will be tied into the iPods funcitonality so we may nto see new ipods until this service is open (i think estimates are April) The best advice i've read about buying apple products when a product improvement may be near is to buy it if you need it and don't check the rumor sites/apple news so you won't be dissapointed. Your with qutie a decent sized crowd of people who have waited since a few weeks before MWSF for new iPods but veryyone agrees the iPod is due for an update so if you can hold off until the music service starts I would. We also know there will be new iTunes so ...... either way you will love yur iPod but at this point most people will probably be happier if they wait. You shoudl also realize that if they add significant features to the new iPod shipping times may increase drastically ala the new PMAc and the 17" powerbook. Just things to think about.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Same old problem, eh?

I bought an iPod last month for my birthday ("Happy Burfday to Meeeee...:D ") got a 10gig with a nice educational discount:)

I watched the boards for a week or so before, waiting for the iPods to change, hoping I could get a 20gig for the same price, BUT I'm really glad I didn't, I've had the machine for a month, I've got every one of my favourite songs on it (650+ songs) and I've still got 3.5 gig left.

I sit on a train for around 2 hours a day to work and various functions and the iPod plays a constant stream of random music to me, plus it has my contacts etc (you know the deal) I don't know why I waited so long...

Sure you could wait, but an iPod is an iPod and everyone in the world should have one:D

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
It is sort of like waiting for JUST the right time to ask that girl out. You wait, and wait, and then you think, "hey the perfect moment is right over the hill", and when that moment is there, you think, "a better moment is still ahead". You wait and wait and the next thing you know, you finally get the nerve up to ask her and she has a b/f. She tells you she would have gone out with you had you asked her earlier, but it is too late now. You waited all that time for the perfect moment and now you ahve to start all over again. I know it doesn't directly relate to the whole idea, but still. And yes, this is a current personal issue with me;). My advice for anything in life's decisions is wait a week to a month at most, and then, even if you think they are going to get better soon, go for it anyway. If they do get better, well, just remember that at least you have it and it was better than waiting for the rest of your life for something better to come along.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
the most likely iPod update to come would be increased sizes (a lineup of 10, 20 and 40 or 20, 30 and 40 gig iPods) and a software update. The software update can be used on older iPods (assuming the hardware doesn't change signifigantly) and the 20 gig iPod will undoubtedly still be in the lineup... so IMHO, if you get one now, it will stay "new" through the next line.

there's really no doubt that the new music service will work on current iPods-- there's just too many out there for apple to not support them. it'll be MP4 based, and iPods support codec updates for this very reason.

i'd say get one now. there's just no telling when the new iPods will be out. i was apprehensive too but got mine in january, have been loving it every day since :)

pnw

b-smooth

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2003
Gainesville, Fl
HOLD ON FOR A SECOND

Okay, trust me on this one. Definitely don't get the 20 now. Sure, it will definitely be in the lineup for the next update but... Toshiba recently publicized a thin version (the size of the 10 gig drive) of the 20 gig drive. So, since 20gig currently is significantly thicker than the 10, why not wait 2 months or less and get a thin 20 for 100 less... I'm big on having the best thing and the reason I wouldn't want a 20 is cuz it's thick and heavy. Definitely get a 20 but wait for them to make it thinner with the new toshiba drive. I've had my iPod since they were released a year and a half ago and it is the best thing i have ever bought (hopefully besides the $3500 17inch laptop I ordered); so definitely get one but trust me and wait.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
the 10gb is very close to the size of the 5gb and if your worried about the weight distance between a 20gb and the 10gb tinner model u need to spend more time at the gym :)

I would wait too although either choice you will probably happy with and I mean there is a possiblty we will only see new sizes and new firmware for all ipods.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
I would wait too.

I am waiting for iPod updates, too. I have been waiting, fairly patiently, for the updates for a couple months.

I think that the updates will be pretty soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.