Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
Things like Xserve will hopefully get more IT managers to take Apple more seriously. Apple has many corporate computing hardware and software like Xserve, WebObjects, etc. that they need to promote heavily. Many reviewers have written glowing reviews (bordering on love letters) for many of these tools. With so many Linux and Unix switchers, it's time that Apple let more people know that OS X is ready for business.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Other than on their own website, and through independant reviews, does Apple even advertise this? I have never seen a print ad, or anything along those lines.

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Originally posted by icetraxxg5
Well the Xserve must be selling well because they released the Xserver RAID.

Well the Xserve raid is for a slightly different clientel. they were always going to release an Xraid (people need them, like us).

But yeah, i can see it now... Jeff Goldblum : "The Xserve RAIDhold your entire colleges files on this beautiful unit, and it can sing too"... :)

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Re: USA Today reviews Xserve

Originally posted by peter2002
Gene Steinberg gives a favorable review to Apple's new Xserve. With superior speed, ease of use and setup, and low price, he says the Xserve is great buy.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/2003-03-07-steinberg_x.htm

wow quite a rave review. although i knew from what you asid ti would be positive, i was still surprised by this guy's enthusiasm for the xserve.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Re: Re: USA Today reviews Xserve

Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
wow quite a rave review. although i knew from what you asid ti would be positive, i was still surprised by this guy's enthusiasm for the xserve.

Well, he also owns and writes for a website called macnightowl.com. So, I'm not suprised why the review was so favorable. I'm not saying the XServe isn't great...just that he's a mac guy to begin with.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
Re: Re: Re: USA Today reviews Xserve

Originally posted by jholzner
Well, he also owns and writes for a website called macnightowl.com. So, I'm not suprised why the review was so favorable. I'm not saying the XServe isn't great...just that he's a mac guy to begin with.

Very true. I would like to have a hard core but open-minded Unix system admin to review the Xserve and compare it to other types of servers. I think that will be the real test for Xserve.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by timbloom
Other than on their own website, and through independant reviews, does Apple even advertise this? I have never seen a print ad, or anything along those lines.

I've seen a few ads for Mac OS X and business, Mac OS X as a UNIX operating system and things like that. They look good but I've yet to see an ad on XServe..maybe Linux magazines have them...ComputerWorld, InfoWorld, InternetWorld.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Re: Re: Re: Re: USA Today reviews Xserve

Originally posted by macktheknife
Very true. I would like to have a hard core but open-minded Unix system admin to review the Xserve and compare it to other types of servers. I think that will be the real test for Xserve.

i think it would hold its own actually. why? cause if you cant GUI it then you can terminal it.
its simple.
you must be careful though, you may cause him to switch :)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by bousozoku
I've seen a few ads for Mac OS X and business, Mac OS X as a UNIX operating system and things like that. They look good but I've yet to see an ad on XServe..maybe Linux magazines have them...ComputerWorld, InfoWorld, InternetWorld.
Ah, yes. They advertise the Xserve in publications that people who buy servers read.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.