Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
This will get you partial Apple Keyboard support in the new version of Vista, 5536. For this you will need Boot Camp, Vista Build Pre-RC1, and the NEW Windows Drivers CD. This works on a MacBook (only tested on one) And it allows Vista to use your eject button and allow Vista to recognise the built in iSight camera. (Have yet to test it but it now shows up in the device manager, which was better then before.

Step 1: Install the build of Vista.

Step 2: Insert the Driver CD, open the folders on the autorun screen.

Step 3: Drag the Setup file "Install Macintosh Drivers on Windows XP" to the desktop.

Step 4: Now goto the start menu and type "run" in the searchbar and open the application Run.

Step 5: Click browse and select the Setup application on the desktop and click OK.

Step 6: Now, on the Run screen it should read

"C:\Users\Brandon\Desktop\Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe"

(at least for me) and you want to add this after it: /A /v So it should look like this:

"C:\Users\Brandon\Desktop\Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe" /A /v

(remember, dont copy and paste because of the user name) Click OK

Step 7: This should run the installer, but it doesnt install the drivers, it only extracts them. They should be in "C:\Program Files\Macintosh Drvers for Windows XP" Navigate to that folder and then to "Apple Keyboard"

Step 8: Double click setup and let that go. Dont restart because restarting is a bitch and I hate it when I still have to do more work:rolleyes:

Step 9: Now goto start menu and search for "Device Manager" And open the application.

Step 10: Find the device "Built-in iSight" (it should either have a "!" next to it or grayed out, I dont remember) and click that and then "Update Drivers"

Step 11: Go to Browser my computer for the driver, then point it at "C:\Program Files\" and make sure the "Include subfolders" is checked and click Next. Let it do its magic!

Step 12: Restart after its finished.

Step 13: You now have your iSight recognized (Someone needs to test with AIM or something, none of my friends have cameras) and a working eject button!

Followup: I hope this helps someone. I kow it helped me (The eject button did at least)

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Well I got the trackpad driver working too. BIG HELP! It normaly sucks without the driver. I uninstalled Vista and I need someone to test the iSight driver with an application called "photoboof" it will tell show you that its working. Help?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Virtualball said:
Well I got the trackpad driver working too. BIG HELP! It normaly sucks without the driver. I uninstalled Vista and I need someone to test the iSight driver with an application called "photoboof" it will tell show you that its working. Help?
I presume this is the thing you are referring to? http://photoboof.com/
I don't have Vista, but could tell my iSight was working from the Scanners and Cameras Control Panel.

B

jfig24

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2006
I followed your instructions word for word but the eject button doesn't work. The isight camera installed and worked fine, but the eject button doesn't work at all. Any suggestions?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
jfig24 said:
I followed your instructions word for word but the eject button doesn't work. The isight camera installed and worked fine, but the eject button doesn't work at all. Any suggestions?

Use a work around. Create a shortcut to the CD/DVD drive by going into my computer / right click on cd drive and choose send to desktop/create shortcut.

With the cd icon now on the desktop, when you want to eject - simply right click on the icon and choose eject.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Well I have another, working work around for the eject button.

Umm....seeing as how I deleted Vista (It SUCKS! lol) Im gunna try to do this all by memory :p

Goto C:\WINDOWS\System32\ and there should be a folder with "drivers" in it. Apple moves all its working drivers there but Vista doesnt see them I guess. There you will find "AppleCDEject" or something like that. Put that in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
and now everytime you start up, you can use your eject button:cool: (But thats all by memory so some of it can be wrong but if you look, youll find it lol)

(Oh and you need to run the Apple Drivers application before this but Im sure you already ran it.)

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
keyboard still not working
in c:\program files\apple keyboard support\, there's a thing called update driver, apparently it's not compatible, and it would run in vista... in the same directory, there's a keyboard management thing, doesn't seem to do anything

that's after i installed the c:\program files\macintosh-driverstuff\program files\apple keyboard-stuff\ for two times

going into c:\windows\system32\drivers\ cant find anything on apple keyboard...

can anyone point me again to the right direction? thank you!

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
ImAlex said:
Nice, but do you know how to get the sound working?

if you tried using the mac driver disk 1.1 and still not work, try extract the drivers out using the aforementioned process, then install the driver and control panel in that

CrackerjacksM88

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
ImAlex said:
Nice, but do you know how to get the sound working?

Windows Vista seemed to installed my drivers automatically, being that when I looked it up in Device Manager it was installed, but not working.

I uninstalled it through Device Manager.

Extracted 1.1 Drivers from the CD using Run. Type in,

"C:\Users\Username\Desktop\Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe" /A /v

(This is assuming that the drivers have been taken from the CD, onto the Desktop)

After you run the command, in your program files there is a folding called "Install Macintosh..."

Go back to Device Manager, look under "Sound, video and game controllers" and your sound card sound be there with an exclamation point. Just right-click and choose to install the drivers by browsing through the "Install Macintosh" folder in your program files.

-------

My eject key does not work, but right-Apple click works as a right-click.
Device Manager detects Apple Built-in iSight, and says its working properly, but its not.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
CrackerjacksM88 said:
My eject key does not work, but right-Apple click works as a right-click.
Device Manager detects Apple Built-in iSight, and says its working properly, but its not.

okay... i dont have my mac now, but you might be able to try it

go to where you extracted your driver, in that directory, find a folder system32, then in there you might be able to locate applecdeject.exe... try to see if that will solve the eject (there's also the brightness control, i dont know if you already solved the brightness problem)

any luck on isight?
how do you test isight in vista anyway, i remember in xp, it shows in My Computer, but where is webcam supposed to show in xp?

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
balamw said:
Control Panel -> Scanners and Cameras

B

so if i don't see any device in that, i can assume isight is not installed correctly, correct?

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Just installed Vista on my MacBook...sure, it looks good but the glass is distracting. Anyway, I got the sound working by using the Boot Camp Drivers v1.1 I clicked "Install anyway" on those annoying driver-incompatible messages :rolleyes: .

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
ChrisG said:
Just installed Vista on my MacBook...sure, it looks good but the glass is distracting. Anyway, I got the sound working by using the Boot Camp Drivers v1.1 I clicked "Install anyway" on those annoying driver-incompatible messages :rolleyes: .

do eject, brightness, isight work?

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
ChrisG said:

I thought everyone would do that:rolleyes:

Yes thats how you get sound working, you actually INSTALL the drivers thru the app first lol.

Anyways, Im probably gunna have to install this on Parallels to see what to do to help you guys. Once again, download photoboof and see if iSight works.

ALSO, I posted on how to get the eject key working, albeit a little shakey on the instructions, but its there lol (And YES the ejet button works for me lol)

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Virtualball said:
I thought everyone would do that:rolleyes:

Yes thats how you get sound working, you actually INSTALL the drivers thru the app first lol.

Anyways, Im probably gunna have to install this on Parallels to see what to do to help you guys. Once again, download photoboof and see if iSight works.

ALSO, I posted on how to get the eject key working, albeit a little shakey on the instructions, but its there lol (And YES the ejet button works for me lol)

from your second instruction, i could not find C:\Windows\System32\AppleCDEject.exe... are you sure it was in there, instead of ..oh i dont know, somewhere else?

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
bearbo said:
from your second instruction, i could not find C:\Windows\System32\AppleCDEject.exe... are you sure it was in there, instead of ..oh i dont know, somewhere else?

Hey, dont get an attitude with me, Mr.!:cool:

First of all, I know its possible cuz I did it before. Second of all, its in Windows\System32\ "a fodler with the word 'drivers' in it"

Look there and Ill see what I can do if you cant find it.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Virtualball said:
Hey, dont get an attitude with me, Mr.!:cool:

First of all, I know its possible cuz I did it before. Second of all, its in Windows\System32\ "a fodler with the word 'drivers' in it"

Look there and Ill see what I can do if you cant find it.
haha, sorry Virtualball, i dont mean to get an attitude:p

i'm sure you got it work, i'm not questioning that.. but i was in Windows\System32\drivers, i couldn't find anything with Apple in the file name... well, w/ exception of applet stuff

is what you had AppleCDEject.exe?
what is the built of the vista you had?
so after you installed vista, you install the Macintosh Driver Disk first, and then extract the drivers to HDD to install whatever isn't installed correctly, right?

i dont have my mac with me now, but i vaguely remember seeing a "program files" in the \Program Files\Macintosh Driver Disk\... so i thought there might be a system32 in there too... might the AppleCDEject.exe possibly be in there too?

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
bearbo said:
haha, sorry Virtualball, i dont mean to get an attitude:p

i'm sure you got it work, i'm not questioning that.. but i was in Windows\System32\drivers, i couldn't find anything with Apple in the file name... well, w/ exception of applet stuff

is what you had AppleCDEject.exe?
what is the built of the vista you had?
so after you installed vista, you install the Macintosh Driver Disk first, and then extract the drivers to HDD to install whatever isn't installed correctly, right?

i dont have my mac with me now, but i vaguely remember seeing a "program files" in the \Program Files\Macintosh Driver Disk\... so i thought there might be a system32 in there too... might the AppleCDEject.exe possibly be in there too?

It was something with that name. I had this build and if you want to know where it is, I opened a driver in textedit and it said it would install it in that folder. I forgot wich driver though :(

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Virtualball said:
It was something with that name. I had this build and if you want to know where it is, I opened a driver in textedit and it said it would install it in that folder. I forgot wich driver though :(
ok... i'll try that when i get home later tonight
you opened a driver file in textedit, a driver file as in the .exe file?

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
no. a .sys file or whatever they are lol. Also, it was in the Windows text editor, not textedit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.