Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech607

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
I made a Company logo in Print Shop. Now I want to use it on a color sheet of paper and i can't find a way to get rid if the white background. Using Photoshop seems out of the question because the logo is made up of mostly test and it is hard to erase around text.

Is there a way to get rid of the background easily in PhotoShop? Or is ther some other software I can use and just recreate the logo using it. The logo will not be really hard to reproduce.

Thanks!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Could you just zap the background with the wand tool with contiguous off? If the image is simple, that may be all you need.

Tech607

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
It has text in it and trying to use the wand tool to delete the background seems to be making my text to thin. I also do not know how to make the background transparent.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Can you post the original somewhere?

Also: to get the transparency, you'll want to first make the background into a layer. The wand has sensitivity and anti-aliasing options to deal with the thinness problem, but it's hard to tell what will work blind (or if you'll need a redraw).

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
Sometimes, you get better results using one of the channels as a selection rather than the wand tool (also, if you use the wand tool, make sure to adjust the anti-aliasing level for best results).

if your logo is just black on white, you can just ctrl-click on an existing channel to get the perfect selection. If it is not quite black on white, you will have to duplicate a channel and tweak the levels (maybe manually fill in some areas) to make sure it is all black (unselected) and white (selected).

as iMeowbot said, show us the logo so we can be more specific.

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
Tech607 said:
I made a Company logo in Print Shop. Now I want to use it on a color sheet of paper and i can't find a way to get rid if the white background. Using Photoshop seems out of the question because the logo is made up of mostly test and it is hard to erase around text.

Is there a way to get rid of the background easily in PhotoShop? Or is ther some other software I can use and just recreate the logo using it. The logo will not be really hard to reproduce.

Thanks!
Are you saying that you want to print it onto a coloured piece of paper!?
If so, it won't print the white anyway.

Sorry if I totally misunderstood your question.

::20ROGERSC::

iminimac

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2005
if what i understand your asking
if you have the photoshop file with the layers
look in the layers and find the background one and just select that layer
and then you can paint bucket whatever background colour you want on it and that will fix that problem

Tech607

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
I am not really good with PhotoShop so I need things explained in more detail. But to restate my problem, I created the logo in PrintShop. When I saved it it was saved as a jpeg so I could use it with other programs but the drawback is that it has the white backgroung attached to it.

So if I try to use it on a colored document in another program the white box shows with the logo in it.

This is my problem. I need to know if printshop can save this logo with a transparent background? If not what program will do this for me? Or how do I make photoshop do this?

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
Tech607 said:
This is my problem. I need to know if printshop can save this logo with a transparent background? If not what program will do this for me? Or how do I make photoshop do this?
Can print shop save them as GIFs or PNGs?
These two will both allow transparent areas in the image.

::20ROGERSC::

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Tech607 said:
I am not really good with PhotoShop so I need things explained in more detail. But to restate my problem, I created the logo in PrintShop. When I saved it it was saved as a jpeg so I could use it with other programs but the drawback is that it has the white backgroung attached to it.

So if I try to use it on a colored document in another program the white box shows with the logo in it.

Post the file somewhere and I'll look at it for you and tell you how to do it. :)

Tech607

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
stuartluff said:
Post the file somewhere and I'll look at it for you and tell you how to do it. :)

I sent you the link in your message box stuartluff.

Thanks

Tech607

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
By George I think I got it. I started a new transparent file in Photo Shop. Then transfered each piece of the logo seperately and aranged it again on the transparent layer. It worked when I saved it as a tiff file.

Thanks for all you guys help! It was greatly appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.