Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minty-freshness

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
what the heck is this?what is it for? how do you delete stuff for more memory? can you delete the ones without the pics?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
minty-freshness said:
what the heck is this?what is it for? how do you delete stuff for more memory? can you delete the ones without the pics?

If you want to mess up your Macintosh, why don't you just use a large hammer?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
General rule: If you don't know what it does, don't touch it.

Deleting/Quitting processes from Activity manager may cause problems if you delete the wrong item(s).

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
A lot of PC users (like my friend) (or switchers) got used to deleting the unnecessary things from seemingly similar to Activity Monitor Task Manager :p

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
minty-freshness said:

I'm going to take this post seriously and assume its not a troll.

1) It's an application called Activity Monitor. (duh)

2) It's for monitoring running processes on your system, both user-level and system-level.

3) It sounds like you're asking a wildly different question here. If you want to free up space on your hard drive, drag files to your trash can and then empty it. If you want to free up RAM, then quit some of your open applications. You can't delete anything from within Activity Monitor.

4) Once again, you can not delete anything from within Activity Monitor. However you can quit some open applications to make some more RAM available. "The ones without the pics" -- I assume you are referring to system-level processes that don't have the pretty icons? I believe you can force quit these the same way, but I would recommend 100% against it. OS X is not simply one application running, it is a concert of many different applications, many of which are assumed to be there and will cause disastrous failure if they are not running. For example, one of the processes is called "WindowManager" or "WindowServer" or something like that -- I'm not at my Mac right now, I'm just going off of memory. That process is what all other applications call to manage and display their graphical interfaces. If you were to force quit that application, I suspect that your machine would lock up instantly and nothing other than a reboot would fix it.

As somebody else, don't mess around with things that you don't understand 100%. You will eventually break something important and it will be difficult to fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.