Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
I have some images which i would like made into a .gif clip for my avatar, how do I do it?

I don't have access to photoshop, but i do have the GraphicConverter and the Corel 11 suite (don't bash me for this; it was only $100!)

Also, got any tips on how can i keep it within the 19.5kb limit?

Thanks

thebiggoose

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2006
us a program called GIFFun....it's free and u just drag the images and hit create ....i'm to lazy to look up the link though

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Scarlet Fever said:
I have some images which i would like made into a .gif clip for my avatar, how do I do it?

I don't have access to photoshop, but i do have the GraphicConverter and the Corel 11 suite (don't bash me for this; it was only $100!)

Also, got any tips on how can i keep it within the 19.5kb limit?

Thanks

.gifs use a color table, allowing them to be quite small because it only needs info on 256 colors or less.

there is usually other things you can tweak to lower file sizes:

dithering (smoothness of color gradients)
transparency (duh)
lossy (makes it look uglier)

when it comes to animated gifs, its best to use NON photo type artwork, big fields of color and not too much gradients.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Is a pic like this going to look alright? I was going to make a series of them to make the character look like he's blinking.

Attachments

• straight.jpg
    straight.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.