Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moo-Boo

macrumors regular
Original poster
My dear Macintosh owners,

Greetings once again. I have been blessed with a second hand Titanium PowerBook, which is probably the most beautiful computers I have ever owned. I don't regret buying it for a moment. But... The right hand speaker intermittently works...it will often stop working altogether, or otherwise distorts, espeically when playing RTCW. I'm thinking that there could be a wire loose inside. Resetting the PRAM doesn't work, and the same effect is witnessed under Panther. I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem, but I'd like your opinion, as I know that all of you know far better than me!

Thanks for your wonderful advice, as always,

Matt and the cat

Moo-Boo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Super Macho Man said:
Do you have the same problem when using headphones plugged into the headphone jack?

G'day Super Macho Man,

No, the headphone jacks works great, no problem there. Just the right internal speaker. Just one of those little annoyances in an otherwise perfect computer.

Thanks,

Matt and cat

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Moo-Boo said:
G'day Super Macho Man,

No, the headphone jacks works great, no problem there. Just the right internal speaker. Just one of those little annoyances in an otherwise perfect computer.

Thanks,

Matt and cat
In that case I think your diagnosis is correct... probably a loose wire or a bad/corroding contact somewhere between the speaker amp and the speaker. Very common with all types and sizes of speakers. Fixing it would probably be easy enough, the hard part would be getting in there and accessing the speaker wire. I've taken apart a TiBook before and from what I remember, you can't get at the speaker from underneath the keyboard - you'd have to remove the bottom lid and then remove the motherboard. Which would make me queasy, personally :) Good luck...

Moo-Boo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Super Macho Man said:
In that case I think your diagnosis is correct... probably a loose wire or a bad/corroding contact somewhere between the speaker amp and the speaker. Very common with all types and sizes of speakers. Fixing it would probably be easy enough, the hard part would be getting in there and accessing the speaker wire. I've taken apart a TiBook before and from what I remember, you can't get at the speaker from underneath the keyboard - you'd have to remove the bottom lid and then remove the motherboard. Which would make me queasy, personally :) Good luck...

Yeah, me too Super Macho Man...I think I'll leave it as is for the time being. I have images of destroying the display and recurrent nightmares! It's not broken badly, so it doesn't need radical fixing. But thanks for confirming my diagnosis...I am learning more and more.

Matt and the cat

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.