Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
We have set up a satirical website. We had a designer design the look, and a CSS guy gave us the basic theme to use in Rapidweaver. We can write OK blogs, but know jack about tweaking layouts to perfection. Undaunted, we have been tweaking to imperfection instead. So now, we would like some fresh critical eyes to really rip into the webpage layout, and the navigation, and tell us where we are going wrong, if indeed we are going wrong!

Judging by the stats we havent had time to upset too many people yet with dead end links etc etc, so now is probably a good time for critical folk to show us the error of our ways before we do our chances of mega stardom too much damage.

As we take the rip out of everyone else, we dont expect an easy ride! So to set the ball rolling, "All those bowler hat links are dead, matey!" Luckily, this link to our homepage is still working!

Thanks, if you have time to take a look

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Your site looks pretty cool to me...nice work. Now for the really nasty brutal part. :D Only thing that I could spot right off was a typo, on your Read This page. You spelled the plural of "typo" as "typoes", rather than "typos".

n. Informal. pl. ty·pos
A typographical error.

I'm sorry I was so brutal, it won't happen again :p

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Ladybug said:
Your site looks pretty cool to me...nice work. Now for the really nasty brutal part. :D Only thing that I could spot right off was a typo, on your Read This page. You spelled the plural of "typo" as "typoes", rather than "typos".

n. Informal. pl. ty·pos
A typographical error.

I'm sorry I was so brutal, it won't happen again :p
How can you live with yourself?

To avoid any repeats of such a bad review, we are totally re-programming the software to catch that tipo.

Thanks

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
I like your website for the most part. My only critique would be to change the font/appearance of your heading.. "The Pisstakers"...make it stand out. Otherwise...it is grrrreat

andy89

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Kent, England
billyboy said:

To avoid any repeats of such a bad review, we are totally re-programming the software to catch that tipo.

Thanks

Now I see why your called the piss takers.:D

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
wow, thats hilarious. My creative director always says "Why don't we just take the piss out of it" or "When I worked in XYZ agency we ran an ad in which LMNO Company took the piss out of themselves".

I thought it was a strictly Australian expression. Good to see there are more piss takers in the world that aren't stealing urinary catheters from hospital patients.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
billyboy said:

Thanks

Oh the remorse, I don't know if I can bare this guilt any longer. *hisses as I back slowly away from my own reflection :eek:

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
minor quibbles :
maybe i'm getting a bit blind, but light green and blue on white are a bit hard to read, as is white on light orange, especially with the point size so small.

the right margin for the text block seems a little stingy given the exceeding generosity of the left

and maybe a little triangular bit of upward frame on the bottom left to tie it into the page a bit more

two dead image links at the top right

your header takes up nearly half the screen at 800x600 (although thankfully the number of people still suffering at this res is now diminishing) - actually, sorry, i see a lot of white space below the title, but there appear to be some rollovers in there that presumably aren't showing up (in Safari)

nice tho, overall.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Thanks a lot for taking the time to look and reply.
frankblundt said:
minor quibbles :
maybe i'm getting a bit blind, but light green and blue on white are a bit hard to read, as is white on light orange, especially with the point size so small.

Do you mean the white on orange font is so small, or all the text on the page, body included?

I too was a bit taken aback by the coloring at first glance, but it has grown on me. The reading glasses I wear are getting thicker now, but, oh well.

the right margin for the text block seems a little stingy given the exceeding generosity of the left

Ouch, watch out the designer will be after you for that comment. It was designed to be stingy! if you extend the left menu bar across, you should see the right menu bar is sized "correctly". Clever huh!

two dead image links at the top right
The head icons purposely dont link anywhere, the first 2 have some javascripted pop-ups. we are trying to code the last icon to pop-up a scrolling window, but so far, we havent got round to getting it right

your header takes up nearly half the screen at 800x600 (although thankfully the number of people still suffering at this res is now diminishing) - actually, sorry, i see a lot of white space below the title, but there appear to be some rollovers in there that presumably aren't showing up (in Safari)

nice tho, overall.

Yeah, it was designed for 1024 x 768. A bit risky I thought, but then someone said, "Oh we dont want to write for people with those little screens." So there we are with a big header.

I am in Safari and can see rollovers. I just cleared the cache too just in case. Was it from a specific link or for the whole site in general?

Again, thanks for your replies.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
actually i checked again and it wasn't on the front page but by following the permalink that the page not only doesn't show the heads but they lurk as dead images way over to the right. looks like a css error maybe.

I don't care to much for those small screen people either but be careful, they're an angry bunch (small screen syndrome)

The font size everywhere is too small for me - probably fine on a small screen...

extend the menu??

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Ladybug said:
Oh the remorse, I don't know if I can bare this guilt any longer. *hisses as I back slowly away from my own reflection :eek:

Hey Ladybug, in view of the theme of this topic, I think YOU got a typo in your last reply. Shouldnt that "h" be a "p"????

And Frank, having adjustable fonts option on the webpage is one of the things on the tweak list. According to the usability gurus, it is dangerous to assume that people know how to increase font size via their browser.

cheers

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
billyboy said:
Hey Ladybug, in view of the theme of this topic, I think YOU got a typo in your last reply. Shouldnt that "h" be a "p"????

And Frank, having adjustable fonts option on the webpage is one of the things on the tweak list. According to the usability gurus, it is dangerous to assume that people know how to increase font size via their browser.

cheers

LOL ..touche :D

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
billy_d_goat said:
Is it finally down. I can't get the link to work! :confused:

Hey Mr Goat, I just checked the link on a PC and a Mac and it comes up fine. Dont know what is up, unless it was a freaky moment at 9.42

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.