Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Occasionally I will need to reflect a word and I often come up with the same problem of how to deal with a word containing descenders. I was wondering how others tackle this problem.

Reflecting at the lowest point of the descender doesn't look right, escpecially for a cast shadow coming forward. Do you look for a typeface that looks OK if the descender is shifted up so that its tail is on the baseline or do you just reflect from the descender or do you reflect from the baseline and let the descender do what it will. Or maybe only work with caps, or type without problem letters.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
dogbone said:
Do you look for a typeface that looks OK if the descender is shifted up so that its tail is on the baseline or do you just reflect from the descender or do you reflect from the baseline and let the descender do what it will. Or maybe only work with caps, or type without problem letters.

It's not often that I do Photoshop work with type but just visualising it, I would imagine that reflecting from the baseline would be the way to go. After all, it's the tops of letter-forms that provide most of the visual information for legibility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.