Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
Hello, can anyone with a WACOM tablet draw me a few things (3 or 4 files) in gray for me to trace? I just got a WACOM and need to practice with it =] thanks

Like this:
wacom5.jpg

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
If your new to the wacom, spend a few days using the Mac OS X with the pen only. Then for tracing, make a layer on top of a pict and trace it using your walcom. You can also use illustrator is live trace something and then layer it and trace it. Don't exspect to get good at it over nite. Its going to take 1-2 weeks.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Benjamindaines said:
4 x 5 and 17" iMac

I see. Well in that case I would suggest you get an A4 tablet if you possibly can as it would allow a 1:1 ratio between screen and tablet and this would make gestural strokes much more natural. Especially if you want to be able to draw as well as copy.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
dogbone said:
I see. Well in that case I would suggest you get an A4 tablet if you possibly can as it would allow a 1:1 ratio between screen and tablet and this would make gestural strokes much more natural. Especially if you want to be able to draw as well as copy.
That doesn't really seem to be a problem, I don't feel cramped on the small tablet and it has an option to "force proportions" so the widescreen isn't a problem.

And I don't think this is bad at all for a first go EVER on a tablet
wacompracticeye2.jpg

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It takes a while to get used to a wacom especilally since when we draw we usually look at the pen and image, but with a pad, you have to look at the screen and draw... just takes longer to get used to it... but once you do it feels very natural.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
xparaparafreakx said:
Don't exspect to get good at it over nite. Its going to take 1-2 weeks.

Can somebody recommend me a good tutorial on how to color line-drawings with Illustrator? I just don't get it, what's the right/best way to fill areas (especially if the faces are sometimes open, as in cartoons)??

linkinpark

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2006
Im am thinking about getting a wacom tablet and I cannot decide if i should get the 4x6, 6x8, or 6x11. i was wondering if there was a way to change the tablet so that it does not control the menus and such but just controls a 4x6, 6x8, or 6x11 area on your screen. My desk is pretty is really small but I should be getting a big L desk soon so thats not much of a problem. i will be using it mostly for the creative suite apps and the studio apps including photoshop, illustrator, flash... I am only 12 and know a good bit about photoshop from lessons in the adobe photoshop cs2 classroom in a book book. I know a little bit on how to create games in flash and I am getting a adobe Illustrator cs2 classroom in a book soon so thanks for helping me.

Fotograffiti

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
Wisconsin
I have the Intuos3 6x8 and absolutely love it. I had the biggest Intuos2 and realized that it was much bigger than I needed. I sold it and bought a smaller one when the new ones came out. I end up not using the whole area since I prefer to draw with a small stroke. It really depends on what you want to do and your way of drawing. With a bigger one you can always set it to use a smaller area of the drawing pad thus not having to make such big strokes. But if you prefer to have it this way most of the time then the extra space is wasted and with the desk I have now I can hardly fit the drawing pad and keyboard side by side as it is. That's just my opinion but I hope it helps. *S*

dogbone

macrumors 68020
linkinpark said:
Im am thinking about getting a wacom tablet and I cannot decide if i should get the 4x6, 6x8, or 6x11.

I used to use an A3 Tablet with a 21" monitor. But now I use a 17" monitor and an A4 Tablet. If you ask for advice on what size to get you will always be told how happy people are with their little wacoms, but you follow that advice at your own future loss. I guess a big tablet may seem expensive for you, but instead of looking at the cost of an A4 look at the difference in cost between an A4 and a smaller tablet instead. Also consider that unlike a computer or monitor or hard drive, a tablet can last you for 20 years and more.

My advice would not to get less than A4 size, you will never regret it.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
Fotograffiti said:
I have the Intuos3 6x8 and absolutely love it. I had the biggest Intuos2 and realized that it was much bigger than I needed. I sold it and bought a smaller one when the new ones came out. I end up not using the whole area since I prefer to draw with a small stroke. It really depends on what you want to do and your way of drawing. With a bigger one you can always set it to use a smaller area of the drawing pad thus not having to make such big strokes. But if you prefer to have it this way most of the time then the extra space is wasted and with the desk I have now I can hardly fit the drawing pad and keyboard side by side as it is. That's just my opinion but I hope it helps. *S*
Same here. I had the 12x12 intuos and that thing was way too big. Ended up never using it. I switched to the 6x8 bt graphire and love it.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
weg said:
Can somebody recommend me a good tutorial on how to color line-drawings with Illustrator? I just don't get it, what's the right/best way to fill areas (especially if the faces are sometimes open, as in cartoons)??

Well in Flash I have the fill area set to large opening but you could just draw a line to connect the "open end/area">fill with color>now delete that line you just put in and your set. That is if your using layers until the end or you feel good about an area to cut and paste it on one layer whenever.
So, that's how I've done it in Flash as I've yet to dabble in Illustrator. Hope this might help you out :cool:

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
I'll vouch for the 6x8 size. On a range of screens from 12-19" it worked well for me. It also worked well, regardless of whether it was 4:3 or 16:9 ratio screen.

I find my Graphire BT somewhat limiting though as I can't tilt the pen thing as much as I like. I don't like wires though, so it's not that bad a compromise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.