Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Malta
Sorry about that :)

Actually the problem is:

"I have a powerbook G3 Lombard and upgraded from OS 9.1 to Jaguar. The DVD drive works perfectly, OS X recognises DVD discs from Cd's Cd-r etc but DVD player is not installed. How can I play DVD's once more on my Powerbook???"

Posted twice... sorry

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
steveca said:
Sorry about that :)

Actually the problem is:

"I have a powerbook G3 Lombard and upgraded from OS 9.1 to Jaguar. The DVD drive works perfectly, OS X recognises DVD discs from Cd's Cd-r etc but DVD player is not installed. How can I play DVD's once more on my Powerbook???"

Posted twice... sorry

I will bet the problem is Jaguar. Upgrade to Tiger and I'm sure it will recognize it.

steveca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Malta
Can't update to Tiger cause I dont have Firewire port. The lombard does not support Tiger. Only goes up to 10.3. Jaguar is actually recognising that the disc is a DVD (makes the cd icon with dvd written on). It did not install the DVD player when I installed it :confused:
This should happen when the dvd is external but its not external :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Mac OS X does not support DVD playback in those machines. There is no Apple solution. The best you can do is get a third party software solution that uses the processor to decode video (rather than the decoder card) but that is usually pretty poor quality.

BTW that machine needs a decoder card to play DVD movies in OS 9.

steveca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Malta
I already tried third party solutions and as you say they are not of good quality. Actually it used to play without card. I have a previous generation powerbook g3 and that needs the card. this went ok on os9. thanks for your assistance :)

steveca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Malta
dpaanlka said:
Then you must have a 400mhz Lombard. Apparently these play videos without decoder cards. :confused:

You are right. It is a 400Mhz Lombard. It has some hardware decoding thing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.