Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
I have just acquired am IBM thinkpad A20M with 192mb of Ram at 500mhz i think it is... it was free, it was also broken... it worked at one time because i used it for about a month, then it got new ram and now its only beeps.. I think i can fix it.

But the seller (or giver) also has an ibook they dont use, and claim it is 'out of service' its a G3 800mhz with 128Ram i believe and a 30 gig HDD..

It doesnt not work they claim... and they dont know why, but may sell it..
What would be a good price to pay for such a product?

It isnt a super drive, just combo i believe.. its stock from what i can gather...

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
honestly, if it isnt working. i doubt you will get anything for it at all.

The g3 is waaay old and people are only interested in working old computers. if not, because of the newer computers avail, you could sell to someone for spare parts. but even to fix an non-working old laptop may not be worth the money.

the amount of ram in there would also make it painfully slow.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Also, since it is a G3 ibook, chances are that the logic board is dead. And a new one of those costs around $300, or you have to talk to apple for a while to see if they will give you an extention on the extended logic board repair program.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
my friend showed me a powerbook g3, 333Mhz/382mb ram, it runs OSX 10.3 surprisingly smooth, so i guess if you can fix it, and get a OSX installed, increase the ram, it would be good for $300....

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
If they can get it fixed cheap it would make a great stereo head unit in the garage... lots of mp3 storage space and plays cd's, a inexpensive speaker setup is all they need!

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
oh its not mine, i am looking to aquire it. I want to know how much to offer.. It worked fine for years.. and then one day they said "out of service" it might boot and run, or maybe freeze or i dont know...

so what should i offer in order to buy it?

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I would offer to take it off their hands for nothing seeing as how it doesn't work right anyways. Save them the trouble of storing a worthless computer, and if you can fix it cheap, YOU WIN!!!:D

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
Star Destroyer said:
oh its not mine, i am looking to aquire it. I want to know how much to offer.. It worked fine for years.. and then one day they said "out of service" it might boot and run, or maybe freeze or i dont know...

so what should i offer in order to buy it?

That model is notorious for burning out logic boards (hence the recall)...so if it doesn't work, you won't be fixing it cheap....unless you have the ability to re-solder a surface mount GPU.

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
if it was under recall doesnt that mean they have to take it and fix it due to the faulty product?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.