Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flashboy131

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Hi, I hope someone could help me fix this.

I ran software update and got (iPhoto, itunes, Security patch) so I ran it and downloaded everything except the Intel Security Patch. So I restarted and decided to try again.

Restart didn't work as it got stuck and I had to reach around and restart by holding down the power button.

When it came back up, I got the white screen with the grey apple logo and the spinning clock like icon..... spinning and that is where I am stuck, left it off all night and tried it in the morning, same thing.

I did try:
-resetting pram (nothing happened)
-restart in safe mode, holding down shift key (nothing, stuck on screen)

I would try to start up from the OSX disk except I have a DVD in the machine.

I am thinking it was that security update that didn't download fully that is doing this but how do I get the imac, "unstuck"? or how do I manually eject that DVD to put in a OSX start up disk?

flustered.
thanks.

sfd101

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2006
I have the exact same problem with my macbook execpt I was doing the security update, the 2006--004 one.

HOw do I startup using the osx dvd?

flashboy131 said:
Hi, I hope someone could help me fix this.

I ran software update and got (iPhoto, itunes, Security patch) so I ran it and downloaded everything except the Intel Security Patch. So I restarted and decided to try again.

Restart didn't work as it got stuck and I had to reach around and restart by holding down the power button.

When it came back up, I got the white screen with the grey apple logo and the spinning clock like icon..... spinning and that is where I am stuck, left it off all night and tried it in the morning, same thing.

I did try:
-resetting pram (nothing happened)
-restart in safe mode, holding down shift key (nothing, stuck on screen)

I would try to start up from the OSX disk except I have a DVD in the machine.

I am thinking it was that security update that didn't download fully that is doing this but how do I get the imac, "unstuck"? or how do I manually eject that DVD to put in a OSX start up disk?

flustered.
thanks.

flashboy131

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
with the OSX disk in your drive hold down the "C" key.

I am trying to get in and repair permissions with disk repair, hopefully this fixes it.

I did read somewhere else that you might want to keep it on that screen for abit, 5-10 minutes? as the computer is working. I couldn't wait longer than it took me to have a cigarette.

have you tried holding down the shift key (safe mode)?

sfd101

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2006
Repairing disk and permissions didn't do anything. I had to do an archive and install to get it to work.

ikaru5

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
sighh

Hey all,

With regards to this problem, i have tried all of the above...
I have a 2 month old 24" iMac, running leopard 10.5.4.
I'd just done a restart to choose my Vista partition (holding option).
The white screen then showed the mouse cursor as usual, but no hard drives to select for boot. Then restarted again and couldn't boot into mac at all, stuck with a white screen...

I've tried:
P-Ram reset (command+option+p+r) - restarted again with no difference.
Disk utility (command+d) - nothing came up.
Booting from CD (command+c) - after 5 minutes, it spat the cd out.
Safe mode (command+shift) - nothing happened

I have no peripherals plugged in apart from the keyboard and mouse, and am using the cd's I was given....
Any Suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.