Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
I just order from Apple Store and been using my Mac Pro for only 1 weeks. It hasn't been abuse or anything. I alway turn it off everytime I go to sleep or to work. Today when I come home, I press the Power Button and nothing happend! I freak out and got mad at the same time. I try unplug everything and the powercord, and let it sit for 60 Second to reset itself and plug back the Powercord. It now turn on and everything seam fine. But my concern is that I pay more then 2 grand on this Machine and it freak out on me in 1 weeks. Should I call Apple Store about this or even replace with a new one? It just strange that it does this and I'm not very happy about it. I'm scared I may get a defect one and in the long run it die quicker? Please give me your advice.
:(

Thanks!

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
It's a pity you didn't check that the plugs were fully engaged before pulling them out. You'll just have to wait and see if it happens again.

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
skunk said:
It's a pity you didn't check that the plugs were fully engaged before pulling them out. You'll just have to wait and see if it happens again.

Yeah I try that already. I try pressing hard on the powercord to the Mac Pro. I even try a different wall outlet and it still wont' turn on. Seam like the only way to turn it back on is to reset it. Just strange that Apple make high qaulity hardware and this happend on a brand new Computer.

phantasm10

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
What the hell? One glitch and you have to ask us what to do? Why not see if it happens 10 times and figure out for yourself to take it to the Apple store? Strange that it would happen on a new computer? Things break and fail all the time. Just because its new doesn't make it immune. Everyone knows a product is more likely to fail out of the box than 6 months down the line.

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
I'm not rich so if I pay more then 2 grand for a Computer, I expect the very best from it. Especially Apple. You be upset too if you brought your brand new Machine and it choke within a weeks. I have my SonyVaio. Abuse it, turn it 24X7 for Bittorrent and it work flawlessly. So yeah, I feel cheated out of my Money.

But thanks for the suggestion I will keep it see if it does again, then I take actions.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Try resetting the PRAM. A macbook here has this problem after being serviced for this problem 2x already. PRAM reset seems to at least temporarily bring it back.

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
OnceUGoMac said:
How did you manage to get a G5 Xeon?

Order it from Apple Online Store. Mine was deliver faster because I didn't get the ATI X1900 Graphic Card. Now the price drop to $250 if order built in :mad:

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
OnceUGoMac said:
How did you manage to get a G5 Xeon?

I know..I hate when I get the newest Mac Pro G4 Petium 4, or Mac Pro G6 Core 3 Quad, you know those types of Macs, and they don't work right..ARGG

When you sped over 2k on a system, you should know whats its called IMO

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Sedulous said:
Try resetting the PRAM. A macbook here has this problem after being serviced for this problem 2x already. PRAM reset seems to at least temporarily bring it back.

Thanks for this suggestion. I will try resetting the PRAM if it does it again. I'm glad I didn't get a Macbook though, everytime I go to Apple Retail store I see many people with their Macbook brought in for services.

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Neonguy said:
Order it from Apple Online Store. Mine was deliver faster because I didn't get the ATI X1900 Graphic Card. Now the price drop to $250 if order built in :mad:

Really? Show me where on Apple's site I can buy a G5 Xeon.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
OnceUGoMac said:
Shhhhh. They're being released on Tuesday. One dual core is Xeon, the other G5. Rosetta eat your heart out. :p

B

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
zap2 said:
I know..I hate when I get the newest Mac Pro G4 Petium 4, or Mac Pro G6 Core 3 Quad, you know those types of Macs, and they don't work right..ARGG

When you sped over 2k on a system, you should know whats its called IMO

At least they work better than my MacPro G6 clockwork Hyper Threading Speed Step...

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
OnceUGoMac said:

I don't know where you live. But in the US, they are out for awhile now. I don't see it at Apple Retail Store. Glad I didn't go buy there, so I bought mine on line. And glad I did. It one amazing machine. Can't wait to get Leopard 64Bits on it. It will scream.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Neonguy said:
I don't know where you live. But in the US, they are out for awhile now. I don't see it at Apple Retail Store. Glad I didn't go buy there, so I bought mine on line. And glad I did. It one amazing machine. Can't wait to get Leopard 64Bits on it. It will scream.

Curious, the link you provided me with only shows a Mac Pro Xeon. I know about those. But, where is the Mac Pro G5 Xeon that you have? I'd like to have one. I'm in the U.S., by the way.

wisredz

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
Dude G5 is a PPC processor and Xeon is an intel processor. There's nothing whatsoever called G5 Xeon. Mac Pro uses 2 dual core Xeons... PowerMac Quad used to have 2 dual core G5 processors.

I don'T want to be rude but how come you don't know what your computer uses? esp. as you have stated before after spending over 2k for it.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Neonguy said:

You're really missing the point here, friend. There is no G5 Xeon! The G5 was the name of a now 'obsolete' IBM Power-PC processor, which was in the PowerMac G5 and XServe G5.

Xeon is the name of a line of server and workstation grade microchips by Intel, using a COMPLETELY different architecture and so on. It is an x86 processor. The version in the Mac Pro and new intel XServe xeon is codenamed "Woodcrest", AKA the Xeon 5100 series, using the Intel Core microarchitecture with a 1333MT/s FSB, 4MiB L2 cache, and clock speeds up to 3.0GHz.

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
OnceUGoMac said:
Curious, the link you provided me with only shows a Mac Pro Xeon. I know about those. But, where is the Mac Pro G5 Xeon that you have? I'd like to have one. I'm in the U.S., by the way.

Oh crap, that is the one I get. Is there another Mac G5 Xeon? The one with dual core Xeon and the other is G5 rosetta? I didn't even know about it. Now I regret getting this one if it's true if there the other G5 Xeon being release.

Are Built To Order Machine returnable? :eek:

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
wisredz said:
Dude G5 is a PPC processor and Xeon is an intel processor. There's nothing whatsoever called G5 Xeon. Mac Pro uses 2 dual core Xeons... PowerMac Quad used to have 2 dual core G5 processors.

I don'T want to be rude but how come you don't know what your computer uses? esp. as you have stated before after spending over 2k for it.

No, I know what it's call. It's a Mac Pro G5. I just want to be more specific what my computer are so I included and said it a G5 Xeon because it use a Xeon (Woodcrest Chip) If I said I have a MacPro, people will be mistaken I have a Quad G5 instead. I been using mac for 8 years so I know my spec. I didn't want to get the Quad instead getting the Mac Pro G5 with Xeon processor to run Windows at the same time. And I did a lot of research on it before buying it, so I know what I'm getting.

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Neonguy said:
No, I know what it's call. It's a Mac Pro G5. I just want to be more specific what my computer are so I included and said it a G5 Xeon because it use a Xeon (Woodcrest Chip) If I said I have a MacPro, people will be mistaken I have a Quad G5 instead. I been using mac for 8 years so I know my spec. I didn't want to get the Quad instead getting the Mac Pro G5 with Xeon processor to run Windows at the same time. And I did a lot of research on it before buying it, so I know what I'm getting.

Heh. 8 years, huh? Heh. :p

Neonguy said:
I have a Mac Pro w/Xeon Processor

Do you get what we're saying now?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Neonguy said:
The Quad PowerMac G5 has 2 IBM dual core PowerPC 970 CPUs -- these PowerPC970's from IBM are the only G5s. aka IBM PowerPC970 = G5 (what Apple calls it)

The Mac Pro Quads are two dual core Intel Woodcrest CPUs.

There is no G5 Xeon, Xeon is Intel & G5 is IBM. Two different public companies.

What you did was the same as calling Coke Classic -- Pepsi's Coke Classic.

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
OnceUGoMac said:
Heh. 8 years, huh? Heh. :p

Do you get what we're saying now?

Well not really 8 years. I been using PC too in that time frame. :p

Yeah, there is no such thing as a Mac G5 Xeon? Just Mac Pro with Xeon Processor. But I know there another Mac Pro G5 that doesn't use Intel chipset. It use 2x G5 instead. So yeah, that's why I call it the Mac G5 Xeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.