Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
Well, well, well. Intel is going to have a hell of a time trying to market these new Intel Pentium M processors by anything other than their wireless technology. The Pentuim 4M is currently running at speeds up to 2.4Ghz, but the Pentium M is only at 1.6Ghz and it actually runs FASTER? Faster??!?!?! How is this possible?! That is a 800Mhz difference! *sarcastically* I thought the higher Ghz meant that it was automatically better! Isn't that what Intel has been slamming into our heads for the past who knows how long?!

Realistically, now. Intel is going to definately make a killing with these new chips if they can be marketed correctly. They sure as hell can't market them by their speed, and I know they aren't going to do it like the AMD chips.

If you go to the Centrino's homepage at Intel http://intel.com/products/mobiletechnology/centrino/index.htm?iid=ipp_perf+detl& , well, you may notice that not once do they mention the speed of the processor. Hell, they mention the BUS speed, but not the processor speed. Well, it goes to show you what Apple has been trying to tell people all along: Ghz means jack ****! Apple just needs to get their damn 17" TiBook out there NOW or they are going to lose a big crowd of people. I hope they don't make this mistake with their next computers. If you notice, the Centrino chip is already shiping with computers. Apple needs to make sure that they have adaquate supply before they announce the computer to the market. It is like telling a kid that if he cleans his room, you will take him out for pizza later, and "later" ends up being the next weekend, not later that night like the kid expects.

blogo

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2002
Humm, looks pretty good to me, but its going to be an expensive CPU

pentiummmob2002ytelse.png

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
I'm seriously considering cancelling my 17" powerbook order, and getting a Gateway 450 with Centrino. I work at a Gateway store, so i would get a discount, and I also like intel. I think that they are a great company, and they make a great product. I only chose the 17" PB beacause I needed a computer as of Janurary, and I thought that maybe when a company introduces a product, that maybe they might have it in stock. I was also tired of my computer crashing with windows, the 17" screen is huge, and the keyboard is freaking sweet!... but if my computer doesn't come within the next couple of days, then Intel's getting my money which i don't mind becuase I have stock in Intel anyway...

I'm very disappointed in apple... I was very excited to be getting this laptop, and showing it off to people... but I am losing my patience with them... fast.

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
That's so funny they don't mention chip speeds anywhere. They have spent so much time hyping up Ghz that they don't know what to do now. They could really make themselves look stupid with this one. Of course if they are smart they will come clean, and admit a slower Ghz means nothing, and push their own "Ghz Myth" campaign.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
This week's "Technology Journal" on page 1 of Wall Street Journal's Marketing section reviews four of these new machines. It would seem that manufacturers don't care much for the wi-fi abilities of the Centrino - which distinguishes it from the plain Pentium M. I am surprised that it's not compatible with "G" networks (Airport Extreme is). Basically the author (Walter Mossberg, who usually takes every opportuity he can to plug for Apple products) was mainly impressed by the battery managment abilities of the chip - an interesting counterpoint to today's tidbit the 10.2.4 is killing our batteries. In the end, it will come down to marketing the damn things and raising public awareness (a battle Intel knows how to win), and Apple can't seem to get that done.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I am curious, are the chips faster running on battery power? or A/C?

If their power consumption is lower than the 4M, then they can still run full speed on battery power compared to the 4M power down, that could be the reason there is such a big difference in speed.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
The chips have a dynamic power consumption when unplugged. The front side bus takes a hit and so does the graphics card and the processor is automatically cut somewhat. All mobile processors CAN be set to run at full speed even when unplugged, and I bet the Pentium M would take a big battery life hit if it did that. I don't know for sure. I guess I am going to have to wait and see. I must say, though, that we don't need to see too much more in the processor's power being reduced as much as we need to see the LCD's power consumption cut. lol. My P4 laptop will last maybe 45min if I leave the it unplugged and the brightness all the way up. If I set the brightness to its lowest level, then it'll last maybe 1.5 hrs. If I just close the lid and listen to music that way, then I can get a good 3-3.5 hrs of battery life out of it. Processor cycling (or as Intel calls it "speed step") technology does help increase battery life, but I don't know how much we are going to see it help compared to less power hungry displays.

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
Centrino

These laptops are actually pretty kick ass. IBM's got a 1x12x10" notebook with a 14" screen. It gets from just under 5 hours to over 6 hours of battery life (depending on the battery), and that's not at idle. Yikes! Powerbooks don't get 5 hours under use... Even the ugly dell 15.4" gets 4 hours under use.

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by KingArthur
The chips have a dynamic power consumption when unplugged. The front side bus takes a hit and so does the graphics card and the processor is automatically cut somewhat. All mobile processors CAN be set to run at full speed even when unplugged, and I bet the Pentium M would take a big battery life hit if it did that. I don't know for sure. I guess I am going to have to wait and see. I must say, though, that we don't need to see too much more in the processor's power being reduced as much as we need to see the LCD's power consumption cut. lol. My P4 laptop will last maybe 45min if I leave the it unplugged and the brightness all the way up. If I set the brightness to its lowest level, then it'll last maybe 1.5 hrs. If I just close the lid and listen to music that way, then I can get a good 3-3.5 hrs of battery life out of it. Processor cycling (or as Intel calls it "speed step") technology does help increase battery life, but I don't know how much we are going to see it help compared to less power hungry displays.

Actually speedstep automatically throttles based on use. They get full speed when they need it. So if you play a game or watch a DVD, battery life takes a hit. The 4-6 hours is under partial use, sometimes full power, sometimes nearly idle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.