Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Hi guys, I need your help!

I need to compress some photos in my iPhoto library for emailing to some friends. Their file size range from about 1.5MB to 2.0MB each, which are too big to send en masse. Is their any software that you can recommend that I can use to make them a more 'manageable' size for emailing?

Also, some of the pics will be sent to people using MS Windows so they'll need to be compatible!

Thanks, Andrew.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Why not just iPhoto? You select the pictures you want, then click the email button and specify the size you want. It gives you an estimate of the size of the files. Yes, they will be compatible with Windows.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
wordmunger said:
Why not just iPhoto? You select the pictures you want, then click the email button and specify the size you want. It gives you an estimate of the size of the files. Yes, they will be compatible with Windows.

Well, b*gger me! I've been using iPhoto for almost a year and I didn't know that it could do that!

Seventy5

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2006
Dundee, Scotland
WelshAndrew (from Kansas?),

Another option, which means you don't have to create multiple photos (does iPhoto still create a new image for every single change?).

Open Mail.app and create a New email.

Write your email then drag the photos from iPhoto browser into the body of your new email This is an assumption as I don't have iPhoto installed, but I know for sure it works from the Finder).

Look at the bottom right of the email window and you will see a drop down list titled Image Size with the options Actual Size/Small/Medium/Large.

Select whichever is relevant for you (I know Medium is 1024x1024 pixels) and then Mail.app will resize and compress the photos on the fly when you send. As I said this way you don't have to use up disk space with variations.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

keyhano

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2009
Maryland
Thank you for making that sooooo easy! I emailed 27 pics in large quality and they sent in less than a minute! I've been on iPhoto for 6 months and it was right there all along! I love MAC and these forums! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :D

sheribirkelbach

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
tx

Just want to make sure--this only works if you have a mobileMe account, right? Mine expired and $99 is too much for me!

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
No, iPhoto can make MobileMe albums but it can also email the photos without MobileMe. And, if you have them, '09 can upload to Flickr and Facebook as well.

and Picasa web albums since the past few years...
iPhoto%20grab%20Picasa.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.