Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Recently, my G4 800MHz 17" iMac died. I got it checked out an an apple centre, and they said the logic board was dead, and repairs would be over $1000, so obviously it isn't worth getting it repaired. I'm going to salvage the hard drive, which is still fully operational.

I have two questions;

-If i salvage the optical drive, can I buy a case for it and use with with my MacBook?

-Can i use the iMac's display as a second monitor for my MacBook? ie is there any way to make the display VGA/DVI compatible?

Cheers

Lee

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Scarlet Fever said:
-If i salvage the optical drive, can I buy a case for it and use with with my MacBook?
Yes, it's a very ordinary drive. You will find that the front drawer lip is missing, though. Now that I think of it, the whole faceplate is gone. It's ugly, but still functional that way.
-Can i use the iMac's display as a second monitor for my MacBook? ie is there any way to make the display VGA/DVI compatible?
Unfortunately, no one has figured out how to do that.

macrocosm

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2006
can you help a little?

Scarlet Fever said:
Recently, my G4 800MHz 17" iMac died. I got it checked out an an apple centre, and they said the logic board was dead, and repairs would be over $1000, so obviously it isn't worth getting it repaired. I'm going to salvage the hard drive, which is still fully operational.

I have two questions;

Cheers

Lee

Please look at my post too:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2823186#post2823186

I think your iMac is quite similar to mine.

Do you know what voltages the BLUE and WHITE wires carry?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.