Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex7577

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Just a few days ago my Macbook started to do something weird. I will power it on and then a white screen and a ton of thin lines of an orange hue will start to fill the screen. The only way to get around this is to clear the PRAM and then it boots up just fine.

Anyone else seen this!

Running a 2.0 Ghz Macbook with 2GB RAM.

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
I had a similar issue with my first Intel iMac. The video memory wasn't being cleared, and I would get lines and sometimes a faint interlaced echo of the image that was on the screen before it went to sleep or before a reboot.

Apple replaced the computer and I didn't have the problem with the new one.

alex7577

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for the tip. I bought the Macbook last week of May. So this should all be covered under warranty. I have not bought the Applecare, but plan to do so a month before the normal coverage is up. Can I just take it to a Apple store and show them the problem?

alex7577

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I did a google search and found this:

The rainbow lines of doom - If you’ve fire up your MacBook only to be met with a large array of multi-colored vertical lines, you have a problem that is associated with the 10.4.7 OS X upgrade. The Apple Technician gave me two solutions that should fix the problem. The first trick is to zap your MacBook’s parameter RAM. To do this, press and hold COMMAND + OPTION + P + R keys all at the same time as you boot up your MacBook. Continue to hold the keys until you hear the MacBook chime 4 times and then release these 4 keys. Once you get the MacBook to actually boot up, go in to the SYSTEM PREFERENCES and select the DISPLAY preference. Change your MacBook display resolution to something other than what you currently have it set on and after it changes go ahead and set it back to where you had it originally, which is normally 1280 x 800. This is supposed to stop the vertical line problem at bootup.

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Board=news&Number=25136

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.