Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Video camcorder?

Any chance we'll see an Apple widescreen H.264/AAC camcorder there? And how about an iPod dock connector/cable to use an iPod for storage to keep the costs down (and sell more iPods)?

kedar

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2006
Switzerland
nosen said:
Hmmm, an Aperture update would be cool. I wonder if they would make any financial "concessions" to people who have recently purchased Aperture... :eek:

I have just received two copies of Aperture - what is Apple's policy on this - do I just have to go and buy upgrade two weeks later. :(

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Guirgi said:
But since everyone's discussing MBP's, I guess it fits.

I know the Merom chip is compatible with the current boards in the CD MBP, but I've never heard anyone actually say that a CD MBP can be upgraded by simply dropping in a Merom chip. Will this be possible?

No, the chip is soldiered onto the board and not socketed like desktops

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Guirgi said:
I know the Merom chip is compatible with the current boards in the CD MBP, but I've never heard anyone actually say that a CD MBP can be upgraded by simply dropping in a Merom chip. Will this be possible?
Not by mere mortals. The CPU is soldered in. I suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility that Daystar or someone like that would come up with some kind of upgrade service.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
iGary said:
There is no way in hell that they will introduce laptops at this event.

Period.

How can you be so sure?

You are a photographer yourself, and you use a laptop as you travel correct?

Maybe Apple just want to be present, demoing Aperture running on the MacBook Pro's, in the hope of converting a few more Windows photographers.

Maybe they won't make a fan fare and just be there to demo the MacBook Pro with Core 2 Duo running Aperture.

Rich.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I doubt Apple will introduce new hardware at this photography show. OK maybe a C2D MBP but that is a minor upgrade, basically just a speed bump. You don't send out invetations to a "special event" and then anounce a "speed bump"

I think it will be software. First will be Aperture 2.0 that addresses same of the issues. Remember months ago when Apple disbanded the Aperture software team? What we will see on the 24th is the work done so far by the new development team. I expect to see some new ideas, better performance and better RAW processing.

But a special event just for one version release? They will have to have something else. A "One more thing..." item. My gues is a new software package. A l photo editor. I doubt Apple will try and compete with Adobe's CS2 or CS3 but they could take on Adobe's "Elements". or more narowly, PSE's editing abilty. There is room for a pixel editor that has a better user interfacethan Adobe. Apple could have looked at Nikon's "Cature NX" and how it uses "control point" and does not destructive editing.

Apple could also do something to make color managment simpler and easier. Wouldn't it be realy nice if the ACD had a built-in color measurement ability. Self monitoring. Or maybe an abient light color measurement so it would "know" if the room was lit with window light or flourecent. This kind of thinng would give people a reason to by ACD rather then Dell or whatever is cheaper. It wuld be revolutionary and worth of a "special event"

Mitch1984

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2005
Telford
rtharper said:
I just hope they don't stick iSights in all the displays.

I know, it would be nice, but have you ever worked in a government installation before? No photographic devices of any kind. Co-workers at my last job are stuck with PowerBooks because they can't bring a MacBook (Pro) into any area that contains classified material, and many of them have their offices in such locations. If they couldn't buy new Cinema display I'm sure they'd be even more annoyed.

Sucked for some that had to find cell phones without a camera, too.

I work in a government building. With ours there is a rule about cameras but it isn't strict.
Basically they say there is a difference between holding your phone as if you're going to take a picture and holding your camera when your texting, which we're supposed to at break (unless you're a manager and you have a work phone)

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
Chimera said:
Prior to the date being given out for the press event I was fully expecting a new MBP at Photokina.

However now given that it is on a Sunday I see no hope of an update. They wouldn't take down the store on a Sunday whereas the Apeture update will either be a free download or a preview of a 2.0 App therefore needing no major store changes.

PS Is there any precedence of hardware updates on a Sunday?

This is also another reason why I believe MBP updates will happen this Tuesday the 19th.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
phatspider said:
Think we've moved on some what from the crappy cameras in phones

My latest phone has a 3.2 MP cam - with optical zoom.

In fact - its better than my camera was last year!
A camera isnt only about MP. The weakest link of the camera in phones is the optics. You just cant get good pics from a camera phone due to the limited formfactor, even if you had 3200 MP.
So yes, in a foreseeable furture, the cameras in phones are crap.

rtharper

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Oxford, UK
Mitch1984 said:
I work in a government building. With ours there is a rule about cameras but it isn't strict.
Basically they say there is a difference between holding your phone as if you're going to take a picture and holding your camera when your texting, which we're supposed to at break (unless you're a manager and you have a work phone)

Do you deal with classified material? The rule isn't important at the facility I worked at unless it was an area where clearance was required to enter.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
It's not gonna happen!

Can someone explain to me why Apple would release new MBPs at an event named after a retired Russian female shot-put thrower?:confused:

damienvfx

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Hey buddy,

gugy said:
Here we go again,
High expectations for another event.
Just take the event this week as a lesson.
Showtime, we got:
Movie Store
Update ipods
ITV.

All related to Itunes and audio video experience. That's why was called "Showtime"

Now we have a new event coming up at a Photokina, photographers event.
What should we expect?
Aperture update and maybe something else relate to Photographers needs.
That's all folks!

Stop dreaming about Iphone, Mac Book Pro etc. it won't happen.
MPB's will be update on a Tuesday just like the Imac was couple weeks back. No special event for that.

Iphone if happens will be either have their own event or at MWSF.

Then later people get upset with Apple and don't understand why. Reality check guys.

You need to stop capitalizing that "i". Seriously.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Dr.Gargoyle said:
A camera isnt only about MP. The weakest link of the camera in phones is the optics. You just cant get good pics from a camera phone due to the limited formfactor, even if you had 3200 MP.
So yes, in a foreseeable furture, the cameras in phones are crap.

There are software solutions that promise a different future than what you envision. DXO Optics made an announcement recently about using software to drastically correct cell phone camera pictures. Shouldn't be long...

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
Josias said:
My prediction:

Definiantly:
MacBook Pro:
2 15" and 1 17" model with 2.16 and 2.33 GHz Merom
1 GB RAM standdard, up to 3 or 4 GB
100 and 120 GB HDD's, up to 160 GB
8x DVD+/-RW DL drives for all
X1600 Pro in low-end 15" and X1800 Pro/XT in hi-end 15" and 17"
FW800 on all models
Magnetic latch (no integrated keyboard)
Expresscard/54 slot on all models
$1899 - $2299 - $2499

I love the way you think. The price seems low, but I wouldn't complain. :)

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Guirgi said:
But since everyone's discussing MBP's, I guess it fits.

Not unless you are good with soldering and don't mind voiding your warranty - the CD chip is soldered onto the motherboard. Also, a firmware update would be required, and may not be available.

Teddy's

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Toronto
A Photographers event, eh?
I want to dig deep into photography. Last week I went to a bookstore and I was looking for Digital Photography books. What I found was something terrible: lots of books featuring Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw plugins, Adjustment of curves, RGB's, clone pixels, RAW and more RAW books.
I got really frustrated because, even though I understand that RAW format, I find everything just out of mind. It is so complicated... hey! I just want to edit my pictures with something easier like iPhoto without something complicated like Photoshop's Camera RAW. I found Aperture easier than PS. I tried it in an Apple Store with a MBP 17-inch like mine and it was sloooooooooow! But it is fine... I can deal with that, I think. What about an upgrade of Aperture where it is optimized and faster? I would really hate if they do a software upgrade and they make Aperture slower on Apple's previous (to C2D) hardware. The other part of the story is that I would like a gorgeous 20+ widescreen display, I don't care about an iSight built-in.

So maybe this is the time for good Photo-products upgrades...

oneighturbo

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2006
new here to the forums.

i've been patiently waiting for the MBP to be updated before i ordered but wanted to jump on the iPod deal as well which ends the 16th

if one was to place an order and then these are announced the following week, would Apple upgrade you to the comparable machine?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.