Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
So with standard ground shipping, my new iMac made it from Shanghai to my doorstep in Wisconsin in less than 24 hours - ahead of schedule. It was too fast for me to be able to plan to be home to sign for it, so I will need to try again tomorrow. Last night, I tracked my iMac and the FedEx website gave me an expected delivery time of 10:30am this morning. The tracking info says that the delivery attempt was made at 10:25. That's pretty darn close.

So for the 2nd delivery attempt, it's saying that I should expect the package at 4:30 tomorrow. I have an appointment 2:00, and I won't be home til 3. Do I need to cancel my appointment? It's pretty important. Or can I rely on that estimated time of 4:30 without worrying about missing the FedEx man?

Anyone want to share their experiences on how accurate these quoted times are? :p

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
They are only as accurate as the driver is.

If you can't be around, you can always call FedEx and tell them to hold it for you at the distribution facility, then pick it up yourself after 5.

That's what I did for my wife's iBook. It beat taking the day off to try and out-guess the delivery truck.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Damm from China to Wisconsin in under 24hrs you say????!!!! Holy S**T. I've found there estimates for delivery days to be acurate, however I've never see time estimates on there tracking site. Howed you get that?

Rasheem

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2006
yeah i have never seen time of day on their website. Before my Mac Pro was delivered i even called them and they couldnt give me even a time frame. Another wierd thing was two days in a row the fed ex guy came around 1 for other packages and i asked him if he usually is there the same time.And he said yes. But then when tuesday came he didnt show up till 7:30 to deliver my Mac Pro and i skipped my whole day waiting for him

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
leave a note allowing them to deliver to your neighbor, or leave the item in front of your door (VERY RISKY, and BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU do)
or change deliver address to your work place.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Super Macho Man said:
Anyone want to share their experiences on how accurate these quoted times are? :p

I think you're missing the point of the FedEx tracking Web site. The time listed is not the time they expect the truck to physically be at your home. The time listed is a delivery by time—the time the driver has to deliver your package. Your package could come between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.

If the driver fails to deliver your package within the allotted time, the shipper can request a refund.

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
todd2000 said:
Damm from China to Wisconsin in under 24hrs you say????!!!! Holy S**T. I've found there estimates for delivery days to be acurate, however I've never see time estimates on there tracking site. Howed you get that?
:D

Attachments

• tracking.jpg
    tracking.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 9,101

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
clevin said:
leave a note allowing them to deliver to your neighbor, or leave the item in front of your door (VERY RISKY, and BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU do)
or change deliver address to your work place.
I think I will do that. I live in a duplex w/ an unlocked main door leading to two private units, so I may just sign the release and leave a polite note asking to put it inside the door pretty please, thank you kind sir. :)

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
My experiences with them have been more or less within the estimated hour, but I wouldn't gamble on it. In other cases, they like surprises and will send some carrier to wake up iGary at 06:00. :D

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
Super Macho Man said:

my experience has been that for business deliveries you can pretty much set your watch by their ETA. For home deliveries it's hit or miss...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.