Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple today announced that it will begin pre-installing Mac® OS X alongside Mac OS 9 on all new Macs® shipping from its factories beginning today, two months ahead of schedule.

So... the future is here. OS X preinstalled on all new macs. Sure, most of us have used/played with OS X... but now OS X's marketshare will begin to grow... unfortunately, OS 9 is still the default os. (baby steps...)

[Edited by Macrumors on 05-21-2001 at 08:31 PM]

garyhoare

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2001
Providence, RI
So here's my question:

I ordered an iBook on May 3rd.
It has not been built or shipped yet.
Will it have OS X on it, or did I just miss the boat?

D

DaSno

No, you are going to get it, either in the box, or as a software budle, in any case, you'll get it free.

garyhoare

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2001
Providence, RI
Originally posted by DaSno
No, you are going to get it, either in the box, or as a software budle, in any case, you'll get it free.
Alright! I was going to buy it later on when I could justify the purchase. Now I don't have to wait, and I can get all the OS X stuff that's still free!
Waiting in line finally paid off.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Yes...

That must be the case. Tho...128 still seems low to run OS X. I just upgraded to 512MB (and I've got UltraWide SCSI...and felt the need). 256MB is like $55 now tho.

blakespot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.