Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
Installed Bootcamp on my shiny MBP - everything is fine so far. I just didn't figure out yet how to type the @ symbol? "Alt Gr" + "Q" doesn't work of course, since there is no "Alt Gr" key on the MBP's keyboard layout... ;)

(I copy & paste'd it from a website, but I don't think that's quite elegant...)

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
you need to reconfigure your keys in Windows, so Alt Gr appears. You can use Windows server ressource kit tools to do so, just download them here.

Then run the program remapkeys (or something like that). When the program is running, you get two keyboards on your screen, and you then drag keys from the top to the bottom. The bottom one is your new layout.

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
In Windows Shift + 2 will give you a double quote and Shift + ' will give you the at sign - this is the standard keyboard layout. If it bothers you then you can remap keys, as suggested by NJuul.

Sean :)

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
seanf said:
In Windows Shift + 2 will give you a double quote and Shift + ' will give you the at sign - this is the standard keyboard layout. If it bothers you then you can remap keys, as suggested by NJuul.

Sean :)

Didn't know, Windows illiterate as I am. Probably wouldn't have bothered to remap my keys if I'd known. Oh well.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
Glen Quagmire said:
Press ALT and type 0064 on the numeric keypad.

Unfortunately my MBP is all out of numeric keypads at the moment. :p (no, it won't work after activating via FN and F6 neither)

seanf said:

Seems like I would have to, since I am not using the standard US keyboard layout, but German.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
c-Row said:
Unfortunately my MBP is all out of numeric keypads at the moment. :p (no, it won't work after activating via FN and F6 neither)

Seems like I would have to, since I am not using the standard US keyboard layout, but German.

when i was on my mbp, bootcamp to xp, shift+2 gives me @... what's the problem?
okay.. fine, i'm using US standard keyboard, i dont know about keyboard of other languages.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
bearbo said:
okay.. fine, i'm using US standard keyboard, i dont know about keyboard of other languages.

On my layout, SHIFT+2 gives me a ".

Oh, to clear things up a bit - activating the numeric keypad on my MBP works under XP, it's just that he doesn't seem to recognize the ALT + 0064 trick. All he gives me is the Bell Of Rejection.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Well, if ctrl-alt-2 didn't work (never really got an answer to that), how about ctrl-alt-Q?

I think I tried that, too, but I will double check tonight.

mst0192

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
german keyboard, german windows?

try ctrl+alt+apple + q
it works..

at least with the apple keyboard (german layout) and a german version of win xp (over vnc)

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
Syn- said:
you must use the right alt somehow and press q it seems.

No **** Sherlock! :D

Sorry, none of the above options work, except maybe for the remapping approach.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
Syn- said:

Sorry, that might have come a bit too sarcastic from my side. I didn't tell that I am a (forced) long-time Windooze user, so I already know what I would need to press under XP - my fault.

KristianSP

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2008
Works anywhere but Outlook and Word

Anyone still reading this thread? Please!?

The Ctrl + Alt + 2 trick works throughout Windows XP on my Macbook Pro (running Parallels or BootCamp), with the notable exception of Word and Outlook (in other Office products, like Excel, it works fine). Especially in Outlook this is exceptionally annoying.

Why would it work everywhere but in these two applications? I know Office uses Word as it's e-mail editor, but even in the address field it doesn't work.

Please, please, anyone who's got a solution? I'm about to go nuts.

asksarabi

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Kris,

Do you see two button next to the right of space bar? They are CMD and ALT buttons. They are between the space bar and the arrow buttons.

Push them and Q button at the same time. CMD + ALT + Q. Here we go. @

Don't use the ones on the left side of the space bar.

Anyone still reading this thread? Please!?

The Ctrl + Alt + 2 trick works throughout Windows XP on my Macbook Pro (running Parallels or BootCamp), with the notable exception of Word and Outlook (in other Office products, like Excel, it works fine). Especially in Outlook this is exceptionally annoying.

Why would it work everywhere but in these two applications? I know Office uses Word as it's e-mail editor, but even in the address field it doesn't work.

Please, please, anyone who's got a solution? I'm about to go nuts.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Kris,

Do you see two button next to the right of space bar? They are CMD and ALT buttons. They are between the space bar and the arrow buttons.

Push them and Q button at the same time. CMD + ALT + Q. Here we go. @

Don't use the ones on the left side of the space bar.

This thread is 4 years old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.