Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rayrayjewels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Is there a way to capture the screen on the windows side (i can do it on the mac side)?

On a normal windows maching it is alt+print screen...:confused:
thanks!!

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
rayrayjewels said:
Is there a way to capture the screen on the windows side (i can do it on the mac side)?

On a normal windows maching it is alt+print screen...:confused:
thanks!!

Edit: You know, it would help if I actually read the question and gave you the correct answer. Sorry about that!

On Windows, it is the Print Screen button (takes an entire screenshot).
If you do alt-print screen, it will take a picture of the window in focus only.

You can then use paint (or another graphics program) to paste it in and manipulate it.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I thought on a normal windows machine, it was control + shift + print screen? It saves it to the clipboard, yes?

Have you tried that?

rayrayjewels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Lets try this again...
I am on my mac book pro...
i want to be able to print screen on my windows side...
is this possible... is there a print screen key or way to capture my screens image?
thanks!:eek:

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
rayrayjewels said:
um... is there a print screen button on the mbpro that i am missing??

sorry.. thought there was one :eek:

Maybe you could remap the keyboard on the MBP and turn a key you never use into the "print screen" key temporarily.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
rayrayjewels said:
thanks.. but i think that only works on the mac side... not the windows...

Command-shift-3 and command-shift-4 are Mac screenshot options.

While running Windows under Boot Camp 1.1, try:
For print screen, hold down the Option key and click F4

I think it's a relatively new addition into Boot Camp.

Also found this:
Since my MBP doesn’t come with a “Print Screen” button, I downloaded Gadwin’s PrintScreen program and assigned a different key to capture screen shots. I also tested some other common XP programs such as FlashFXP and everything seems to be working well. However, as many have already complained about Microsoft Vista, it is indeed very annoying how often the OS asks you for confirmation to carry out a task. I think I was asked a total of three times if I was sure that I wanted to install PrintScreen.

I'm googling this question because I'm sure you're not alone. :)

rayrayjewels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
katie ta achoo said:
sorry.. thought there was one :eek:

Maybe you could remap the keyboard on the MBP and turn a key you never use into the "print screen" key temporarily.

hmmm.... even if i remapped, i still would not have a print screen key... the command in mac is opt+4... do you think that would work on the windows side??

rayrayjewels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
deputy_doofy said:
Command-shift-3 and command-shift-4 are Mac screenshot options.

While running Windows under Boot Camp 1.1, try:
For print screen, hold down the Option key and click F4

I think it's a relatively new addition into Boot Camp.

Also found this:
Since my MBP doesn’t come with a “Print Screen” button, I downloaded Gadwin’s PrintScreen program and assigned a different key to capture screen shots. I also tested some other common XP programs such as FlashFXP and everything seems to be working well. However, as many have already complained about Microsoft Vista, it is indeed very annoying how often the OS asks you for confirmation to carry out a task. I think I was asked a total of three times if I was sure that I wanted to install PrintScreen.

I'm googling this question because I'm sure you're not alone. :)

that command closes my program!
it doesn't work.
thanks.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
rayrayjewels said:
hmmm.... even if i remapped, i still would not have a print screen key... the command in mac is opt+4... do you think that would work on the windows side??

The Mac screen copy is command-shift-3 AND command-shift-4, but NOT option+4 as you suggest.
Also, the suggestion given on the other site said option-F4. Though looking at your previous post, it still seems not to work.

rayrayjewels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
deputy_doofy said:
The Mac screen copy is command-shift-3 AND command-shift-4, but NOT option+4 as you suggest.
Also, the suggestion given on the other site said option-F4. Though looking at your previous post, it still seems not to work.

yes, you are right, its the apple key, not option, sorry, i know how to do it on the mac side.

its the windows i am trying to figure out.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
rayrayjewels said:
yes, you are right, its the apple key, not option, sorry, i know how to do it on the mac side.

its the windows i am trying to figure out.

I know. I'm trying to figure it out with you. I will be buying a MBP pro relatively soon (waiting for Merom) and will eventually be installing Windows on it for the fun of it. It will help to learn where some keys are now. :)

rayrayjewels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
deputy_doofy said:
I know. I'm trying to figure it out with you. I will be buying a MBP pro relatively soon (waiting for Merom) and will eventually be installing Windows on it for the fun of it. It will help to learn where some keys are now. :)

i found this on the mac website, i guess i just need to update my bootcamp :eek:
Updating to Boot Camp 1.1.1 beta

If you previously installed Boot Camp beta, you can easily update to Boot Camp 1.1.1 beta. You don't need to partition your hard drive again (unless you want to change its size) or reinstall your Macintosh and Windows software or documents, but it's very important to update the Boot Camp Assistant software, create a new Macintosh Drivers for Windows CD and install the updated software it contains on Windows XP. Complete instructions are provided in the Installation and Setup Guide included with the Boot Camp 1.1.1 beta software.

evangelion-01

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2006
Download "InputRemapper_0_9_18_Beta.exe" theres probably a new version... on the windows side of things you just have to hold the FN button, then click the according button that you use on your mac, such as F3 to mute, f4 to lower sound, etc. It also has a button configuration for right click and print screen, i think it's FN+ Delete, but im not sure.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
What we have here, is, failure... to communicate.

This reminds me of the time someone replied to my email, quoting the *entire* email I sent, and added the complaint that I had never responded to them.

Everyone responding in this thread said to either Press Option-F4 or update BootCamp, and finally the newbie 'discovered' an updated BootCamp which will let Opt-F4 make a screencap. I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!

FOG Lite

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2006
F14! It's F14!

That's for a capture to clipboard, which is what i need since I want to do some cropping. But I still don't know an actual "prinnt Screen" command on the Windows side.

pascalpp

macrumors member
May 10, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Opt-F4 was a prank

Early in this thread someone pasted a blurb from a digg thread on Boot Camp 1.1, saying that you can emulate the Print Screen by pressing Option-F4. This is the Windows keymapping to close the current window. So they're pulling your leg.

Apparently the real way to Print Screen is to press either F13 or F14 (i've read both, not sure which is correct, but I think it's F14). My problem is that my MacBook has neither of these keys. I'm wondering if there's another way to emulate the Print Screen function using the default keymappings in XP. Guess I'll have to download a keymapper for Windows. Anyone dealt with this before?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
FOG Lite said:
F14! It's F14!

That's for a capture to clipboard, which is what i need since I want to do some cropping. But I still don't know an actual "prinnt Screen" command on the Windows side.

unless the MBP keyboard is suddenly 2 buttons wider, there is no f-14

Haliburton

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2006
according to Boot Camp Beta installation & Setup Guide.pdf

Following is a text-only copy of page 17 in the above-noted document, included on the BootCamp 1.1 disk image.

On my Apple Pro Keyboard (supplied with G4 Dual 500) connected to my MBP 2.0 GHz 2 GB Boot Camp 1.1, I can press F14 'til the cows come home, with no discernable effect . . . nothing on the clipboard to paste into MS Paint, Photoshop, whatever.

Perhaps this function is only enabled for current Apple Keyboards ?

Oh, and the link to the docs.info.apple page does not work.

Haliburton

- -

Boot Camp Beta installation & Setup Guide.pdf :

Enabling Apple Keyboard Support

Apple Keyboard Support assigns the keys on your Apple keyboard to match a standard Windows keyboard. This enables Control-Alt-Delete, Print Screen, and other important key commands to work with Windows XP.

To enable Apple Keyboard Support:
1 Click the keyboard icon in the Windows System Tray.
2 Choose Enable.

Apple Keyboard Support is enabled by default. If you are using a Windows keyboard, disable this feature.

The following table tells you how to get some of the most common PC key commands on Apple external and built-in keyboards. For details, see:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304270

PC key command Apple external keyboard Built-in Mac keyboard

Control-Alt-Delete Control-Option-FwdDelete Fn-Control-Option-Delete
Alt Option Fn-Option
Backspace Delete Delete
Delete FwdDelete Fn-Delete
Insert Help N/A
Number lock Clear Fn-F6
Pause/Break F16 N/A
Print Screen F14 N/A
Scroll/Lock F15 N/A

notes:
FwdDelete is the Delete key above the navigation keys.
Hold down the Fn key to use the embedded keypad.

Right-clicking
You can right click when running Windows on your Macintosh by using a Mighty Mouse or by using the right-side Command key with a single-button mouse or trackpad.

To right-click using a Mighty Mouse:
- Click the button you’ve designated as the secondary button on your mouse.

To right-click with a single-button mouse or trackpad:
- Hold down the right-side Command key and click the mouse or trackpad.

Half-Brain

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2006
Maybe you figured it out

Perhaps but i searched the internet all over to find the answer to this and to no evail, i decided to no longer rely on the great and mighty google to solve my problem and do a little outside of the box thinking and what came to mind......The onscreen keyboard that comes with every installation of windows XP... tada. It works.

Have a lovley time with windows on your macbook... I am loving it.

leereeves

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2007
I figured it out

I never knew this, but Windows XP and Windows Vista both include a registry hack for remapping keys. So I remapped my right Apple key to Print Screen.

Which is especially awesome because my USB keyboard has an option/alt key right next to the right Apple key. So taking screenshots in Windows Vista is now easier on my MacBook than on my PCs.

Installing Windows Vista on a MacBook Pro has been a lot of fun.

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
well, on my MP i just simple use F13 for whole screen and Option-F13 for a window
then i paste it into Paint.

this is for both XP and Vista under Parallels. i haven't tried it on Bootcamp though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.