Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
iss_shuttle_legault_f.jpg

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
you may want to post those smaller. We don't all have 30" displays and sweet setups like iGary. :)

but wow, really makes you think of the scale...

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
katie ta achoo said:
you may want to post those smaller. We don't all have 30" displays and sweet setups like iGary. :)

but wow, really makes you think of the scale...

yeah, without going into photoshop and making an art project out of it, thats the smallest i could get.

xper

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2005
Sweden - Halmstad
MongoTheGeek said:
So what's the big wheel of cheese behind it?

It´s texas.

No but seriously it is the sun

Btw obeygiant, u don´t need to do the resizing yourself, nasa have already done it for you ;)

iss_shuttle_legault_c88.jpg

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Wait, I'm really confused. I'm fully aware of the scale of things in space (one of my favorite pasttimes is to awe my ignorant friends by giving examples like "If this basketball were the sun, Earth would be a pea on the other side of campus", that type of thing), but something doesn't look right here. Maybe I just need to get my bearings...is this pic a REALLY zoomed in shot of the sun, taken from Earth (or low orbit), when the shuttle and station were in between the camera and the sun? Is that what I'm looking at? Even so, it seems wierd. It makes it look like the shuttle is close to the sun, even though it's still 93,000,000 miles away.

xper

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2005
Sweden - Halmstad
I think that your thoughts on perspective is way off, yeah it is between the sun and the earth, way does it look like it is closer to the sun?
If it would look like it would be closer to the sun the spacestation would be invicible due to the huge size of the cheezeeee.

"Image of the solar transit of the International Space Station (ISS) and Space Shuttle Atlantis (50 minutes after undocking from the ISS, before return to Earth), taken from the area of Mamers (Normandie, France) on september 17th 2006 at 13h 38min 50s UT.
Takahashi TOA-150 refractor (diameter 150mm, final focal 2300mm), Baader helioscope and Canon 5D. Exposure of 1/8000s at 50 ISO, extracted from a series of 14 images (3 images/s) started 2s before the predicted time."

Quite a badass optic thingy: (i want it so bad)

vaches.jpg

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
xper said:
I think that your thoughts on perspective is way off, yeah it is between the sun and the earth, way does it look like it is closer to the sun?
If it would look like it would be closer to the sun the spacestation would be invicible due to the huge size of the cheezeeee.

Yeah, my brain tells me it would be invisible (not to mention burned up) if it really were close to the sun -- I was just commenting on the fact that the sun seems so up close and in your face in this photo, and the ISS seems right there with it...I don't know, it's hard to describe. I *know* where everything truly is in relation to each other, I just think this picture looks surreal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.