Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miTunes75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
I bought the 1.66 core duo in august with 512 memory, superdrive.

I love osx, the applications, how easily things work, never crashing, etc.

What I can't stand is the fact that when I rip a cd (with lame encoder that i downloaded), It rips at 0.9x to 1.0x speed. This is rediculous. Now, I do understand that it's ripping and encoding at the same time, but my PC rips and encodes about 70% faster than my precious mini. Maybe it's just the specifics of the superdrive that's annoying to me, i dunno. But that is the one thing that I cannot stand. So, this last cd that I ripped, it took one hour. That is just annoying. Is there anything that I should be doing something different? I still love apple and apple products. But the one thing that I use a computer for quite a bit has a very low performance; and this is frustrating.

Thanks.

nickelbackmac

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Jonesboro, Arkansas USA
miTunes75 said:
...very low performance...

Uh-uh oh no you didn't! I ordered a refurb. MM solo with 512/60/Combo. Instead, I got MM solo with 512MB RAM/100GB HD:eek:/Combo. 40GB more than I wanted. Apple's cool, I agree with you.

And the "uh uh oh no you didn't" thing is a joke, not to be confused with a rude comment.

As for the burning problem, go to the Preferences on iTunes and check the speed selected, what type encoder, and check if it's Rosetta or Universal.

You'll get it. It's an Apple. BTW check Apple's Mac Mini support page, maybe it has something about it.

Good luck!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Try a rip with regular ol' iTunes. It should be waaay faster than that. If it is, then it's the software you're using (the LAME encoder), if it's the same then your hardware is bollocksed.

aftk2

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Pacific NW
cd quality?

Hey, also something to check out: any chance the CD is scratched, or funky in some sort of way? Due to a shoddy stereo I had when younger, a lot of my CDs are really scratched (to the point of them looking like spider webs cover the data side); sometimes it takes forever to rip these CDs, while new ones go at close to 10x.

miTunes75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
well....

when i rip in apple lossless, it completely flies...

the ripping gets done no time at all......

i think it's a LAME issue or something (shrugs shoulders)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
miTunes75 said:
well....

when i rip in apple lossless, it completely flies...

the ripping gets done no time at all......

i think it's a LAME issue or something (shrugs shoulders)

Yep, that settles it. If, when you rip to mp3, AAC etc without using that LAME encoder you talk about, you have no problems, but these problems arise when you use LAME (whatever that is) then the problem is the LAME encoder.

Your Mac mini is fine, it's the software you're using that is buggered.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
miTunes75 said:
I bought the 1.66 core duo in august with 512 memory, superdrive.

I love osx, the applications, how easily things work, never crashing, etc.

What I can't stand is the fact that when I rip a cd (with lame encoder that i downloaded), It rips at 0.9x to 1.0x speed. This is rediculous. Now, I do understand that it's ripping and encoding at the same time, but my PC rips and encodes about 70% faster than my precious mini. Maybe it's just the specifics of the superdrive that's annoying to me, i dunno. But that is the one thing that I cannot stand. So, this last cd that I ripped, it took one hour. That is just annoying. Is there anything that I should be doing something different? I still love apple and apple products. But the one thing that I use a computer for quite a bit has a very low performance; and this is frustrating.

Thanks.

:confused: Why would you download some 3rd party encoding software when your Mac came preloaded with the worlds premier music management software? Just use iTunes and you should get 13x+ speed ripping CDs.

I'm guessing the problem is that the encoder you downloaded is PPC and as such being run through Rosetta.

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
mrgreen4242 said:
:confused: Why would you download some 3rd party encoding software when your Mac came preloaded with the worlds premier music management software? Just use iTunes and you should get 13x+ speed ripping CDs.

I'm guessing the problem is that the encoder you downloaded is PPC and as such being run through Rosetta.

Amen. I completely recommend just using iTunes. And if you don't like the program itself for playback... it will store all your encodes in easy to understand folders in the /homeuserhouseicon/music/itunes/guns n roses folder (example)...

So just go in and copy it to whatever program or device you want...

Esp. with apple lossless (which is a great sounding codec, IMHO)...

Seems like an easy fix :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.