Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richiez

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
so i picked up a 1.66 core duo/512/80/SD today

and man is the thing slow, in gerneral most things are smother than my old 12" 1.33 PB, but the mini will stutter A LOT.

So how much ram do I need? is 1GB enough, or should I just go to 2gigs?

Also what is the performance hit if I don't use matched sodimms?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
richiez said:
so i picked up a 1.66 core duo/512/80/SD today

and man is the thing slow, in gerneral most things are smother than my old 12" 1.33 PB, but the mini will stutter A LOT.

So how much ram do I need? is 1GB enough, or should I just go to 2gigs?

Also what is the performance hit if I don't use matched sodimms?

depends I am someone who believes in a good amount of ram so I would max out with 2GB. But a lot of people say the minis run good on 1GB. It depends on what you'll be using it for.

the performance hit will be negligble if you don't get "matched" sodimms. However you do want to use 2 sticks of the same size and specs. i.e. 2 x 512 or 2 x 1GB not 1 512 and 1 GB. but if they are 2 1GB that weren't tested and matched together you probably won't even notice the difference then if they were.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Mine ran like a whole new machine with 1GB. I moved it up to 1.5GB yesterday, and it feels even snappier now. So, I would say go with 1GB for normal use - and max it out if you want the best possible performance.

nodabs

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2006
PA
if i were to max out the RAM on the Mac Mini to 2GB... how would the Intel graphics handle something like Photoshop CS2? I'm looking for something until i get a new MBP...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.