Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peck2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
Can any one tell me how to determine the IP address of a network printer. I have an OKIpage 12i which suddenly can't be seen via Appletalk, so I was going to try to connect to it using IP (which is how I connect to the Xerox Phaser we also have)

Any help appreciated ...

peck2000

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
If you've got a router, go to the router setup page and look for an option to show you all the connected devices.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
You could disconnect or turn off all the machines on the network, and run "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.*"

The x's are your ip scheme, and the * at the end will ping every combination, from 1-255. If everything else is disconnected, you'll get a ping back from the printer's IP.

Of course, if this is at work, good luck shutting down everyone's machine ;).

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
MoparShaha said:
You could disconnect or turn off all the machines on the network, and run "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.*"

The x's are your ip scheme, and the * at the end will ping every combination, from 1-255. If everything else is disconnected, you'll get a ping back from the printer's IP.

Of course, if this is at work, good luck shutting down everyone's machine ;).
And don't forget NOT to unplug the computer you're running the ping command from...or any routers/switches between you and the printer ;).

I'd recommend keeping a list of the MAC addresses and IPs of all network-attached devices if you're in charge of technical support. If you're using DHCP for IP addresses...well, sorry for your loss. If you've got a tech person(s), they probably know the IP of the printer and can tell you.

Alternatively, if there is another computer already set up to use this printer via TCP/IP, you can always just look at its configuration settings.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The network settings, RAM, etc. don't show up on one of the test/settings pages in the printer control menu?

Edit: I'm used to getting a status on my toner rather quick by tapping a couple buttons on the printer and getting a test page ...

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
goto the printer and print out a status page usually by pressing the button on the printer which will tell you the ip address...

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
superbovine said:
goto the printer and print out a status page usually by pressing the button on the printer which will tell you the ip address...
Depending on your network, you may not be able to trust what the printer says.

123walter

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
Petersburg VA
IP address for printer?

The only ip address I have ever seen is the ip address of the resident desktop that is physically connected. I have tried in vain for over a year to print from my macbook pro. I have a dell lap that I can print from but the mac in spite of its obvious superiority in other areas will not print. I have a router, which is 192.168.0.1, my desktop is 192168.0.196. I just checked my router webpage but there is only a list of connected computers.(All 4 including my wii and iphone are there but no printers) All printers are connected to xps. I have bonjour and cups installed but when I click on bonjour from windows, it says no bonjour printers found.(whatevr that means) I just downloaded a canoon driver designed for my printer and cups, gonna try that. Shouldnt I use a port address?

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
The only ip address I have ever seen is the ip address of the resident desktop that is physically connected.

A shared printer isn't the same as a network printer. Your printer doesn't have its own IP address, because it isn't on the network - the desktop computer is on the network.

Many non-postscript printers don't have Mac drivers that are capable of network printing - that's why Apple included the open-source Gutenprint drivers on OS X, and why you will read about many other open source "CUPS" drivers used for network/Windows printing.

Get the latest version of Gutenprint here:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/macosx

Follow this guide as close as possible (it was written for 10.4):
http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3015.html

Lastly, about using forums - unless your issue is "exactly, word for word" the same as an old thread, please start a new thread if you need help. You will get more attention that way.

123walter

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
Petersburg VA
Ip address for printer?

I am using a current macbook Pro that was purchased in the last couple years. The info about 10.4 was useless. To the people who are serious. I have downloaded the latest Gimp, and found a driver that more closely meets my needs. ihave been doing this(computing) since 89. I know how to set up printers etc in windows, ctrl panels etc. Canon MP470 is what I am trying to use, but I will settle for any of them.(I have two HPs on same computer) I think I am on the right track. At least now its not "timing out". I am communicating with the printer. It seems that the answer is in Ghostprint or Gimp area, providing all of your other setups are OK. I just found a blank sheet of paper in tray! Thats sometihing!

123walter

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
Petersburg VA
Fixed CUPs solved

Using the systm prefs and also using the cups website in tandem. I have fixed it. IT PRINTS. I went to the system prefs, chose Print and Fax. Add a printer. Then Windows. My printer was physically plugged into desktop wind machine. The ip address was irellevnt. There is a choice to make. Pick your wkgrp in first column. Midle column has your computer. Right hand column has your printer. This is gonna have to be. If not set your windows up correctly. Printer sharing everywhere! I also aded myself as a user in Cups webpage.(Dont know if this mattered)But do it anyway. Then choose driver...Canon Pixma 150. This works. Nothing else will. Havent tried scanning but Im happy to print wireless for now. Then check out the cups 631 website just to make sure all your settings are OK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.