Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
ummm, for the people wondering what we are talking about. the apple slpash page changed to advertise WWDC

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
i think apple will release 970 powermac's as soon as they can. if they are ready for wwdc, then they will be released at wwdc, or later, if they not ready (or not ready in the quantity to satisfy demand)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
For the new PowerMac 970s they'd need to redo the OS, right? Makes perfect sense to me....

Also, look forward to paying for Panther if they're making such a big deal about it. And to change the date of a conference, that was probably booked quite a while ago has huge implications. Its not something you do lightly - especially since many people have to change their airline and hotel reservations.

D

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Panther/970

Panther could have been demoed on the original date. This is just another tell-tale sign that Apple is preparing a Panther/970 co-release. The only question left in my mind is weather or not developers will be under NDA to see pre-release 970 machines, or weather they will actually announce 970 based macs.

000111one111000

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2001
DeKalb, IL
WWDC's date was changed quite a while ago. I forget the reasons, but I do remember reading about it a month or more ago.

I think it had something to do with them killing off QuickTime Live! and incorporating that into this year's WWDC.

I wouldn't count on seeing any PPC 970 Macs show, unless it's behind closed doors to a select few. For something this big, I'm pretty sure Apple will hold their own huge Apple Event (similar to the iPod release) or wait till they're at a MacWorld.

enoch

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Originally posted by dukestreet
For the new PowerMac 970s they'd need to redo the OS, right? Makes perfect sense to me....

Also, look forward to paying for Panther if they're making such a big deal about it. And to change the date of a conference, that was probably booked quite a while ago has huge implications. Its not something you do lightly - especially since many people have to change their airline and hotel reservations.

D

Yup, seems big. Hopefully its not because steve had a prior engagement on the original day:p

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by Jaykay
i dont see a new PM coming so soon after they were updated...

They could announced/previewed at WWDC, but in typical Apple fashion, it may be Aug or Sept before they're available to ship.;)

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Originally posted by Foxer
They could announced/previewed at WWDC, but in typical Apple fashion, it may be Aug or Sept before they're available to ship.;)

Sounds like a valid statement to me.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
I don´t see right now, HOW the date has changed. Has the event been delayed? It could also be a software-only thing, since a complete version of Panther to be demoed would be nice, and would be embarrassing to show an alpha version or whatever.

Okay, such a move is not done light-hearted. It will have its reasons. Could it be the new iPod? This device thingy with the myterious enclosures mentioned on Page2 ?

Hmmm!!

That postcard IS ugly, though.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I don't think they'd have to redo the OS to get it working on a PPC 970, but it would be better if they made some changes to it took advantage of the 970's features.

I wonder what some of the new features will be?

iTunes Rendezvous support (we've been waiting...)

A better DVD player

a final version of safari

Oh the possibilities... I guess we'll just have to wait...

I know that windows will have a very hard time keeping up at the rate Apple's going... They won't have anything until 2005, or maybe 2004, if they're lucky.

bdguyton1

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2003
sorry, i got a dumb question

This is probably a REALLY dumb question, but I would like to know the answer. PLEASE don't bash me for it, but what is the PPC 970? is it a new processor or something?

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Re: sorry, i got a dumb question

Originally posted by bdguyton1
This is probably a REALLY dumb question, but I would like to know the answer. PLEASE don't bash me for it, but what is the PPC 970? is it a new processor or something?

:D :D :D
*slap*
:p

Do a search, and read the latest three topics with it in the title, and you will know everything about it. Hint: A new CPU from IBM...

And please don´t ask now about "CPU" or "IBM"... the consequences would be gruesome! :D

bdguyton1

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2003
rrrriiiiigggghhhhtttt.......... now i feel like a retard. lol. Thanks. Looking forward to Panther!

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Originally posted by dukestreet
And to change the date of a conference, that was probably booked quite a while ago has huge implications. Its not something you do lightly - especially since many people have to change their airline and hotel reservations.

It sucks just as much for those of us who made our reservations THIS WEEK. :mad:

Though it looks like they reserve a block of rooms at the hotel and give them the guest list later. People with plane tickets are going to be affected most.

BTW, Is Geekfest still targeted for June 13-15?

merges

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2002
luckily most airlines have instituted policies whereby us travellers can change our tickets—no fuss, no muss—due to the security issues we may face as a result of the american incursion into iraq.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
but jaguar was worth it ;)

if they release it with 970's no one will say a word.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
yeah, doesn't this seem a little soon? i'm sure people are gonna be bummed when they have to pay for an update so soon after Jag. i hope it's worth it or better yet, free!

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Originally posted by shakespeare
Are they going to start selling 10.3 in June, do you think? Or are they going to give us another countdown to the actual release date?

Well, the press release states that they rescheduled in order to provide developers with a more complete preview release of the next version of Mac® OS X, code named “Panther.”

If developers are leaving (on June 27th) with a preview release, they won't be selling the final version immediately.

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
pay for what you get....

I'm just wondering what new features there are going to be. I mean, I don't mind paying for an update as long as there are large leaps and bounds in the features of the OS. I haven't heard much discussion on what's coming our way. Probably more bluetooth support, rendezvous support (or iTunes), and now that I think about it, I dont know what else....

does anyone know what will come with this major update in June? (by the time we get it, it'll be a midnight party in September at the Apple store...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.