Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shakespeare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2002
Portland, Maine
As of this morning, I have the strangest problem I have ever had with my Mac.

The problem is that I can't drag items. I can drag windows to move and resize them, I can drag scrollbar widgets to scroll, and I can click and drag to draw in Photoshop &c, but I cannot drag items. For instance, I cannot move files in the Finder, I cannot drag messages to move them to other mailboxes in Mail, I cannot drag songs to playlists in iTunes, I cannot drag links on pages in Safari (although I can drag bookmark bar items to move them), I cannot drag selected words inside TextEdit, and I cannot drag files to my FTP server in GoLive. When I try to drag, the system doesn't respond. Nothing freezes; the items just sit right where they are as if I weren't touching them.

It is not a hardware problem; such dragging works neither with my trackpad nor my Apple Pro Mouse. Nor does my system need a restart; a restart did me no good.

My system was working normally until the problem quietly and suddenly began about a half hour ago.

I am using a PowerBook G4 400/512 and OS X 10.2.4.

What in hell is going on?

shakespeare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2002
Portland, Maine
Additionally, I have just discovered another aspect of it: if I command-click Menu Bar Items (with the intent of moving them), they immediately "poof" into oblivion as if I had dragged them off the bar and let go. Then, all the Menu Bar Items disappear and restart themselves after a few seconds.

shakespeare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2002
Portland, Maine
Yeah, I figured I'd have to reinstall. I already tried repairing permissions, it didn't do anything. I'm backing my disk up to my external firewire now.

Damn damn damn. And this is weekly crunch time for one of the magazines I design.

Well, while it installs, I can take a well-earned break, I suppose.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Re: I can't drag items!!

Originally posted by shakespeare
As of this morning, I have the strangest problem I have ever had with my Mac.

Sometimes, I also had this problem. Happened only two or three times. I was able to solve it by restarting the Finder, or logging out and back in again. Happened in 10.2.3... in .4 never...

Don´t know why this happened. It could be that I was using some dumb beta software or badly written piece of crap at that moment.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
yup, i had this same problem. i was able to fix it temporarily many times, but it would always return quickly.

the real fix...reinstall the OS. that's what I had to do. sorry bud.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i've had this prooblem quite a few times, and what did it for me was just a restart. i dunno what os your using, but this only happened to me in 10.2.3 and not yet at all in 10.2.4.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I suspect what happened was that the keyboard driver missed a key-up signal from a control, shift or command key. When the clicking acts weird like this, press and release each shift, control and command key.

N.B. I've never had this happen on a Mac, but it happens frequently on Windows systems.

shakespeare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2002
Portland, Maine
It's interesting you think it could have to do with the keyboard; I had recently started using an Icelandic keyboard layout preference. I wonder if something got messed up in the switch.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by cubist
N.B. I've never had this happen on a Mac, but it happens frequently on Windows systems.
I have never heard of this; Mac, Windows or Linux. You know what that means (I get to see it soon for myself :()

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
hmmmm - i hope this never happens to me. i brag about how simple the mac is to use because it is so drag-drop centric.

like - "to create a DVD drag movies into iDVD. Insert DVD-R (2x/4x depending on Superdrive) and click burn twice. Wait for about time of DVD + 15mins (not inc. encoding time) and vòila - DVD for general use. menus aswell.

Drag drop is esssential in the mac. that must have sucked. as for what cubist said - sounds like the reset combinations for console (Xbox, PS2, NGC, N64) controllers

shakespeare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2002
Portland, Maine
I am especially concerned about this bug because I now think it may have had something to do with the Icelandic keyboard layout. This concerns me because, although I speak English very well and although I am very much a member of the modern world, I am concerned when I find that Icelandic is spoken by so few. I don't want an Íslenska-specific bug! I don't want to be ignored because I'm in the minority! I don't want Icelandic to die! :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.