Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leftfoot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
Austin, Texas
Well, you all will NOT believe how lucky I am at the moment...

One of my 'friends' sent me one of those things, that when you look at it for a while, it confuses you, and then it just screams and scares the crap out of you?

Well, I happened to be taking a sip of my drink at the time the screamer came out and yelled... Tea went EVERYWHERE, and I knew it went on the MacBook, because it just shut off. So I immediately ripped the mac book up and put it upside down, and let all the tea drain out. It wouldn't boot, for about an hour, I was trying to get it to turn on, no luck. Then I lost hope... But I gave it one last time, and when I heard the startup sound, I was so relieved.

It's fine, nothing seems wrong, all the keys work, computer is running cool, so the fans work.

So what's next? Should I punch my so called 'friend' in the jaw? Come up with a suggestion...

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
leftfoot said:
Well, you all will NOT beleive how lucky I am at the moment...

One of my 'friends' sent me one of those things, that when you look at it for a while, it confuses you, and then it just screams and scares the crap out of you?

Well, I happened to be taking a sip of my drink at the time the screamer came out and yelled... Tea went EVERYWHERE, and I knew it went on the macbook, because it just shut off. So I immediatly ripped the MacBook up and put it upside down, and let all the tea drain out. It wouldn't boot, for about an hour, I was trying to get it to turn on, no luck. Then I lost hope... But I gave it one last time, and when I heard the startup sound, I was so relived.

It's fine, nothing noticably wrong, all the keys work, computer is running cool, so the fans work.

So what's next? Should I punch my so called 'friend' in the jaw?
yes punch him as hard as you ****ing well can
and then give your BlackBook a hug
and hope nothing starts corroding

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Definitely punch your friend. Despite what your mother says, violence does solve the world's problems. Violence is what separates us from animals.

leftfoot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
Austin, Texas
elisha cuthbert said:
yes punch him as hard as you ****ing well can
and then give your BlackBook a hug
and hope nothing starts corroding

I plan on it, I already hugged my blackbook, I don't ever think I've actually hugged a computer before, until now. Scares me a little bit...

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
hit him. If the BlackBook has any problems in the future, even if they aren't related to the tea, make him pay for repairs/replacement. Also, i see you only have it stock; tell him he screwed the RAM up, and make him buy 2 x 512MB sticks :p

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
dude ... you're going to have to open that thing up and clean it out. Did your tea have sugar in it? If so, there's going to be all kinds of sticky residue going on. I'd start by taking the keyboard out first to check for signs of liquid, and then maybe pull the lower case cover off too.
frownyes.gif

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
clean the book well, for sure.

you can't blame him for your choice to have liquids around your computer though.

leftfoot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
Austin, Texas
No sugar, thank goodness.

I'm not blaming him for it, it's fine...

Oh, and when I put my drink down, it's at least 5ft away from any of my computers, just when it happened, I was taking a drink of it. Freak incident.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
Fitting thread title! Glad your MB is back up and running--I hope it stays that way.

Soooo, post the video. ;)

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
mad jew said:
Definitely punch your friend. Despite what your mother says, violence does solve the world's problems. Violence is what separates us from animals.

No - strategic violence is what separates us from the animals. Kick him in the goolies.

joebells

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
Next time something like that happens I wouldn't sit there and try to turn it on repeatedly, let it completely dry before you attempt to turn it back on. That is bad, bad, bad. I would have not turned it on for at least 8 - 10 hours. And I would have taken the battery out immediately. I might also have taken it apart and cleaned the inside but for sure I would have taken out the battery and not turned it on for at least 8 hours.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
MACDRIVE said:
dude ... you're going to have to open that thing up and clean it out. Did your tea have sugar in it? If so, there's going to be all kinds of sticky residue going on. I'd start by taking the keyboard out first to check for signs of liquid, and then maybe pull the lower case cover off too.
frownyes.gif

Yes, look for a guide on http://www.ifixit.com. It will almost definitely be sticky inside:(

the Western zoo

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Aarhus C, Denmark
hahah... you're one lucky guy!!

but you can't really blame him for it... I watched these kind of things a bunch of times and only got scared once because it was some sort of game which required much attention... but the way I see it you're to blame for having tea near your computer... now had it been coffee it would have been an all together different story!! ;)

ripfrankwhite

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2005
After you assault the guy, go buy a keyboard cover. They work great! And you won't have to worry about spills anymore.

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
Definitely pull the Macbook apart and let it dry out. If you don't feel comfortable, take it to an Apple store or an authorized repair shop, tell them what happened, and just ask that they open it up and clean it out properly.

I've seen laptops work after spills, only to die a few days/weeks later when things start to corrode. For the couple of bucks you'll spend to have someone clean it out, it's a heck of a lot better than the alternative.

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
I laugh at your misfortune.
HA HA HA HA HA!

*bug flies in mouth*

HA ACK!
*cough cough*

I say you attack him.
Rip him apart.

KILL! KILL!
I want veins in my teeth.
KILL! KILL!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
mad jew said:

Amen. That will teach your 'friend' not to do that again. Either that or you can just tp his ass...

the Western zoo

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Aarhus C, Denmark
redAPPLE said:
out of curiosity, what is this "screamer"?

it's like a gag where someone sends you a link to an image and there mostly a text saying something like "take a very good look at this and remember as much of this picture as possible" and then you of cause focus intensly because you think they're going to change something in the picture and make you point it out... after a while the picture changes to something scarry and a very loud noise goes off - BANG, you've just pied your pants... ;)

the Western zoo

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Aarhus C, Denmark
joebells said:
pied your pants? Do you usually eat pie while you are on your computer? :D

haha... no not really! :) what I tried to say/write was peed - english is not my native tongue... ;)
but actually if you got scared enough you might just make a pie in your pants... :D

cyberdogl2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
your friend send you a scary link. your reaction spill tea all over your macbook. i think it's kinda funny but it shouldn't be his fault. if somebody told you a funny joke while you were driving and you got into an accident because you were laughing so hard, would you blame him for being so funny?

nakedguy

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2006
Don't keep liquids near your laptop... At least that's what I do. I don't care about the desktop cause a new keyboard is about 20 euros... But as far as a laptop... I don't risk with that. Btw, a little punch in the face wouldn't do that much harm to your friend... ;)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
leftfoot said:
So what's next? Should I punch my so called 'friend' in the jaw? Come up with a suggestion...

That or make him buy a new one! Plus up the specs for the fact your out a computer for a while...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.