Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CookieMook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
Hi guys,

I have been programming in C++ for a while in VS and this term I must write code for linux stations, so I am using Mac's developper features for the first time. I have Xcode 2.2 on a G5 dual processor 1.8 GHz and I am stuck with a very frustrating experience: Xcode sometimes freezes on me after I type ">". For instance, writing a simple for loop: for (int ctr = 0; ctr < (Xcode freezes and I have to force quit and start from the last saved version).

Has anyone else experienced this? To get around this very frustrating behavior, I have to save my file as an unknown format (no extension), then Xcode does not recognize any key words but I no longer have Xcode crashing after typing a "<". What is really strange is that it is intermittent: some times I can type a few of these "<" without it crashing, and copy-pasting works fine.

I otherwise like using Xcode. Anyone know how to stop this? ( I am writing a command line C++ project in Xcode 2.2)

Thanks

wallsmd

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2006
I have been experiencing the very same problem on my iMac G5. I don’t believe that it every happened with Xcode 2.1. Unfortunately I have not found a solution and I don’t think version 2.1 is available for download. If you do happen to find a fix please post it.

Thanks

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I had the same problem where Xcode would freeze while I was actually typing the code for the loop. It, to was the < symbol that triggered the freeze. I trashed the project file, created a new project and added all the source files to the new project. All seems well for now.

Also, I've been learning Obj-C this past week and have not encountered this problem. Maybe it is a bug with C++ compiler.

wallsmd

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2006
Work Around

The problem seems to have something to do with how xcode looks at function blocks in the code. I have found that if I put both the starting and ending brackets on a function and then insert the code in between there is no problem. However, without the ending bracket it will freeze up as you have described.

Hopefully that helps.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Wow, that's incredibly frustrating, but I have never encountered that with Objective-C development. What happens if you turn off code sensing/completion?

nunley0

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2006
Problem solved!!

Go to the xcode prefrences, and under the Code Sense section, turn off indexing. lol I don't know why this works, but it does.

nunley0

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2006
Renig my previous !!

It worked for a few moments, and then same ol same ol.

On a better note, I found that xcode 2.4 is free for download.
I'm betting that this bug will be handled, but we'll find out.
I'll be back.

nunley0

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2006
Finnally solved!!

Download Xcode 2.4 for free at Apple.com!

Now back to my homework lol. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.