Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Time Clock

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
Hemet, CA
I am enrolled in a 3d Animation class at the local community college and it seems interesting to me. We are using the Maya Personal edition to do all of our work. I was wondering if there was an inexpensive 3D animation program that I can use. I don't have the cash for Maya, and the watermark pisses me off. I was looking at Hash's Animation Master, and it seems like it is a decent program. I can't afford much more than that price though. I realize that a $299 program is not going to be anywhere near top of the line quality, but inexpesive doesn't automatically mean bad, either (see: iMovie). Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
TC

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
There are plenty of guides and tutorials for Blender on the web. It's a great app, and I don't think it's a bad idea to learn two 3D programs...less chance of getting locked into thinking there's "one way" of doing something. That way you learn the concepts better instead of just which buttons to click...therefore other 3D programs are easier to understand as well.

--Eric

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Blender is frickin' awesome.

I'm not a 3D artist by any stretch of the imagination though, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

But some of the stuff that I've done just playing around with blender non-seriously even blows me away. That is one powerful little open source app.

EDIT: Just realized, my avatar was even done in Blender...

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Time Clock said:
I am enrolled in a 3d Animation class at the local community college and it seems interesting to me. We are using the Maya Personal edition to do all of our work. I was wondering if there was an inexpensive 3D animation program that I can use. I don't have the cash for Maya, and the watermark pisses me off. I was looking at Hash's Animation Master, and it seems like it is a decent program. I can't afford much more than that price though. I realize that a $299 program is not going to be anywhere near top of the line quality, but inexpesive doesn't automatically mean bad, either (see: iMovie). Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
TC

### Hi...
Until "Reflex" by Digitalfish is released, Maya is best..then Animation Master...then Blender. Animation Master is pretty impressive. In my opinion, I wouldn't concern yourself too much with which software you use. Many studios have their own software anyway. Learning the software has nothing to do with learning animation. Learn the 12 principles, body mechanics, etc, etc. For learning *animation*...go to animationmentor.com or Keith Lango's site.

good luck!

Time Clock

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
Hemet, CA
Thanks for the replies, I'm looking into Blender as I type. I'll look into the student versions of Maya. Thanks for everyone's help (as usual you guys are on the ball).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.