Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Any print designers or printers here regularly working with recycled stock? Coated or uncoated?

We've had an environmental audit at our organisation and one of the recommendations is that we move to an uncoated recycled stock for our top-line corporate material.

I'm not entirely pleased about that from an aesthetic corporate point of view. Apart from my concerns over cost, finish and reliability of supply to our printers I'm a bit vague about any other issues that might be involved.

Any advice or other's experiences most welcome.

Thanks... BV

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Blue Velvet said:
I'm not entirely pleased about that from an aesthetic corporate point of view.

I don't know B... I've seen some amazing corporate design work on recycled stock, which I often prefer to the often overly glossy corporate norm.

As I seldom dip my toe into the print world, I can't really offer any advice as such, however you might find these links of interest.

Cousin
Renourish

L

Lau

I'm not sure this is helpful, but I'm sure I heard that sustainably harvested paper is better than recycled from an environmental point of view — the process used to recycle paper is incredibly energy intensive and uses a ton of bleach and other chemicals.

It might be worth looking into if you wanted to argue your point. :D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
That's both very helpful, thanks you two. :)

Have ordered up some samples from a couple of our largest printers and have talked to them about cost implications as well as finishes... according to them the 100% recycled stocks aren't usually suitable for our particular corporate comms as they can be yellowish and 'bitty'.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
iGav said:
Organic and tactile. ;) :p

Yes. True. But it's going to stand out a mile against our other marketing materials particularly publications. That's why we've got to stay with the smooth white thang...

Mookamoo

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
I've done a few things with recycled stock - stuff like Annual Reports etc.

Couple of things I have noticed are

1) The ink often soaks in more with recycled stock - therefore the colurs tend to be a bit on the dull side. Not a problem as such, but can be if your client/boss has signed off a set of glossy inkjet runouts and is expecting that finish. Worth just taking the time out to explain in advance.

2) Recycled stock varies so much between printers it is best to go a paper maker/distributor and specify the paper with them. When placing the print job with a printer, make sure thay have factored in the extra cost and time involved in getting the specific paper shipped in. Cost is not normally a problem, but time can be as it can take a good few days/weeks in some cases. I have used Zanders before and found them helpful. (More helpful when a large print run is involved!)

3) Get an uncoated Pantone book. Don't try to spec the equivillent from a coated version as it will look nothing like it.

Hope this helps

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Mookamoo said:
...Couple of things I have noticed are...

Very useful, thanks. My biggest worry is consistent and reliable supply so that mention of Zanders was helpful. Cheers. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.