Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi,

Just got back from my wedding at the Grand Canyon and when looking at the video my folks shot you can hardly hear the vows due to a lot of wind noise. You can just about here the words so it has captured some of it but a lot is just wind noise.

Does anyone know if it is possible to filter out some of this noise to try and bring the speaking a bit clearer? I know it its just captured wind noise its not going to be possible so I'm not expecting miracles, just trying to clean it up a little bit and not sure where to start.

Thx.

PS. I know the title is kinda asking for the "wind" comments so try to resist :)

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Wind noise is very difficult/next to impossible to remove since the harmonics span across the entire vocal frequency range.

needlnerdz

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
switzerland
get rid of that wind

best advice i can give, is to pickup 'Soundsoap' - a plugin for Bias Peak, but also standalone app.. export the audio from the video, and try it out.. its a pretty amazing program.. wind will be a challange, but it just might help- goodluck

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
needlnerdz said:
best advice i can give, is to pickup 'Soundsoap' - a plugin for Bias Peak, but also standalone app.. export the audio from the video, and try it out.. its a pretty amazing program.. wind will be a challange, but it just might help- goodluck

i 2nd soundsoap. great app. if you have final cut pro, try their augraphicEQ - is has a ton of freq ranges. i find that wind can be reduced at the 5000 - 8000 mhz ranges (by taking it down to -20). camcorder hums get be rid of at the same time although 63 or 80 mhz reductions can help if my 1st suggestion doesn't.

the key thing about sound soap is to make sure you it 'memorizes' (I forget the name of the button in the middle), sound with NO VOCALs in it. it will do an automatic fix at that point and then you can play with the dials.

ps. i'm doing something similar to a wedding right now actually :)

hope that helps.
keebler

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
"audacity" is free software. It might help but wind noise is hard to remove because it is broad spectrum and random "white noise". Still you could try it. You just give the noise reduction filter a sample of the wind noise without the speech and "train" the filter on what you want removed

Read about "noise reduction" from the user manual here
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/manual-1.2/menu_effects.html

Of course the best thing is to get the recording right and put the mic up close. Hide a mic in the flowers near the source of the sound to be recored. but it's a little late for that. Another option is to find someone else that has a recording and combine the footage taking what's best from each. I actually did this once. Rounded up copies of all the amatuer video. It works. The end result is better then any one of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.