Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Illustrator is definitely my weakest app... :(

I have a greyscale logo, created in Illustrator. Shapes within it are solid tints of grey 20%, 50% etc.

I need to quickly create 5 variants of it as single spot colour versions. However, selecting the whole logo and choosing a Pantone colour converts all shapes to 100% rather than retaining the tint percentages.

Any quick way to do this or do I need to do each one manually? Am I missing some trick?

Thanks
BV

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
It might be less hassle to first change all the fills to black, then change the opacity of the fills. That would be preserved across the color changes.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
This may or may not be useful, I found this plugin that claims to automate the job. It says it's for CS, but i couldn't test it because CS2 doesn't see it.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Oh, thanks for the plugin. :)

I'll try it later today or over the weekend (slippage already on work in progress :( )

Prefer to not use transparency on the EPSs as some of the older RIPs that a few of our display suppliers use get a bit confused. Was just looking for a quick solution but if I have to do them manually I will. Bleh.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Blue Velvet said:
Prefer to not use transparency on the EPSs as some of the older RIPs that a few of our display suppliers use get a bit confused. Was just looking for a quick solution but if I have to do them manually I will. Bleh.
Isn't this fun? That plugin was apparently written to deal with exactly the opposite problem. Somebody really ought to come up with standards for these things ;)

Snark

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2003
Blue Velvet said:
Illustrator is definitely my weakest app... :(

I have a greyscale logo, created in Illustrator. Shapes within it are solid tints of grey 20%, 50% etc.

I need to quickly create 5 variants of it as single spot colour versions. However, selecting the whole logo and choosing a Pantone colour converts all shapes to 100% rather than retaining the tint percentages.

Any quick way to do this or do I need to do each one manually? Am I missing some trick?

Thanks
BV
You got me all curious so I had to play. :D

If I'm understanding the problem correctly, I think I found an "oh well, next time" solution.

I specified the black I was using as a spot color, then the shapes in various tints of that black spot color maintained their tints when I did a 'select all' and assigned the group a new spot color.

Snark

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Snark said:
You got me all curious so I had to play. :D

If I'm understanding the problem correctly, I think I found an "oh well, next time" solution.

I specified the black I was using as a spot color, then the shapes in various tints of that black spot color maintained their tints when I did a 'select all' and assigned the group a new spot color.

Snark

Good one. That sounds like a plan. I'll try this tonight after I've had a pint. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.