Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Hey, I'm working with Quark at the moment, which I'm not too familiar with. I've been laying out a newsletter and PDFing pages without any problem - but when I PDF one particular page, one (and only one) of the photos on it comes out all wonky - faces are a bright green, as is human skin, while there are lots blues too. Can anyone be of any help?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
What kind of file is the image? It hasn't been inadvertently altered from within the Picture Effects palette, has it?

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
It's just a JPEG. There hasn't be any alterning at all - I just uploaded it as it was. It looks fine in Quark, it's only when it's PDF'd that it looks odd.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Don't use JPGs for placement in layout software; their output can sometimes be unpredictable.

Got Photoshop? Take that image and convert it to a CMYK TIFF and reimport it. It'll play nicely then. If this file is going to print all the images should be CMYK.

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Thanks BV, that worked a treat. A quick question - someone else who was working on the layout before I started imported all of their photos as RGB JPEGs. They look fine on the PDFs, but should I go back and change them to CMYK, import them in Photoshop and re-PDF? Time is a bit tight (print deadline is tomorrow), but I can do it if necessary.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Yes, they should all be CMYK... if all your images are now placed, then convert them all to CMYK, using a Photoshop action if you know how.

Then update them all in the Utilities palette, selecting all the modified filenames and holding down the Control key as you press the Update button, which should prevent the stupid dialogue box asking you 'if you're sure?' popping up for each image.

Time used at this end will make sure that your artwork won't need (possibly) expensive and time-consuming intervention at a prepress stage.

Also, make sure that when you create that PDF, you leave trim and bleed around the file. Images and graphic elements should overlap the edge of the page by at least 3mm... and a 15 mm slug is fairly standard (in the UK at least).

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Smileyguy said:
someone else who was working on the layout before I started imported all of their photos as RGB JPEGs.
:eek:
They look fine on the PDFs, but should I go back and change them to CMYK, import them in Photoshop and re-PDF? Time is a bit tight (print deadline is tomorrow), but I can do it if necessary.
Yes. If you don't, your printer/prepress person will slap you. :p RGB images don't translate to press printing. They have to be CMYK to separate. Also RGB and CMYK have different color gamuts, CMYK being more limited. If the images were created as RGB, prepare for some color shifting to happen. You might need to tweak them. If they were created as CMYK originally and then converted to RGB, going back to CMYK shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.