Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Well, so far all my Dell products have had some problems and my brand new 2007FPW is following.

Basically I had a 2005FPW. It had some serious pixel problems. Dell wouldn't return my calls and after weeks of trying to get an answer they shipped me a 2007FPW monitor instead. Maybe as a way of keeping me sweet? Who knows. It was fine until recently. I lowered the stand to the furthest it would go, but now I cannot bring the monitor back up again. It's sort of locked in one position. I can still tilt the screen though.

Anyone else had this and know how to fix it? I'm contacting Dell about this too but at their rate of response I'd have a million and one replies here!

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Yup. It's stuck, which lead me to believe it was just a 'notch' for design or whatever. it really is stuck there. I really don't want to call Dell out again just for a stuck button... gah!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
raggedjimmi said:
Yup. It's stuck, which lead me to believe it was just a 'notch' for design or whatever. it really is stuck there. I really don't want to call Dell out again just for a stuck button... gah!
Push the monitor all the way down. Then hit the button. After that try to raise the monitor while holding the button down. If the monitor height is just right it'll BLOCK the release switch and you can't raise it.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Nothing :( I'm thinking this is a job for the screwdriver now.

alright... My dad pushed the monitor connector thing down and I pushed the button in. It took 2 healthy, gym attending men to get that to work... surely that isn't right. It's as stiff as anything. Why must I get the just-slightly broken electronics :(

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
honestly, it sounds like you're doing something funky.

On my 2407WFP, I was at first thinking something was fishy when I couldn't get it to raise back up.

What I do to get mine out of the locked lower position is with 1 hand, gently push the monitor down further onto the stand (even when locked into the lowest position it can move slightly). Then, while pushing down, push in the release button and hold that in. While holding it, lift up on the screen or push up from the bottom and it moves up very easily.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
what happens is if I just push down on the monitor stand normally then the button goes slack a little - but no amount of force would get it to "click" in. My dad had to both push the connector down and back to get it into the right position, like mine doesn't go all the way down. It's nothing like the 2007FPW stand at my university.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
As has been said, you have to press the button as you are pushing the monitor down lightly.

TrinaryOuroboro

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Holy cow, this thread saved me some serious tears.

I have a Dell 30" recently bought - got locked Just Like this, and if you pushed the monitor allll the way down the release lever Wouldn't Work

I literally had to be super gentle pushing down the monitor ... then Somewhere in-between the lowest it could go, and the locked position above it - the release button on the back would free up and I could press it...then voila, just lifted the monitor and felt $1500 lighter, and allowed myself to breathe again.

I also recalled someone having a problem like this with a standard 17" monitor, I'll bet this is the same solution, keep this thread on top out there.

:eek:

allomo

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
Thank You

almost 3 years with my display stuck! Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Thought i had a foulty mechanism.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.