Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Does anyone know how much it costs to buy a pig? I'm in the UK but, either a value in dollars or pounds should be fine.

Several peoples valuations would be useful.

Cheers.
Adrian

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
Are you going in the Truffles bussiness? ;)

truie_truffe.jpg

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
From a random google search.

Assuming you have a place for your pig to stay, the remaining costs associated with the project are fairly reasonable. The largest expense may be in buying the piglet. In our area, an eight week old pig, weighing around 40 - 50 pounds, is $80. Feed typically runs about $8 - $10 per 50 pound bag, and one bag will usually last two growing pigs about a week. You will also want to buy some straw or wood chips for your pig to sleep on. An estimate for growing a market pig (approximately 12 weeks) is $200.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Remember, if you're going to want this pig as a pet then buy one of the dwarf breeds.

My old High School provided most of the 40-odd individual piglets they used for the movie "Babe" and trust me, they get HUUUGE!!! I'm 6' and a fully grown "Babe" pig was at least hip-high on me.

agp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
My question was slightly wrong. I meant how much is a pig worth to a farmer when they sell it?

I don't actually want to buy a pig though I was reading a passage in the bible in Mark 5 where Jesus casts out many deamons from a deamon possessed man into a herd of about 2000 pigs. The local people then pleaded with Jesus to leave.

I just wondered how much those pigs might be worth to the people of the time, which might show why they wanted to get rid of jesus.

Cheers.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
agp said:
My question was slightly wrong. I meant how much is a pig worth to a farmer when they sell it?

I don't actually want to buy a pig though I was reading a passage in the bible in Mark 5 where Jesus casts out many deamons from a deamon possessed man into a herd of about 2000 pigs. The local people then pleaded with Jesus to leave.

I just wondered how much those pigs might be worth to the people of the time, which might show why they wanted to get rid of jesus.

Cheers.

I reckon I'd prefer to be tucking into a nice roast pork with veggies and apple sauce and good crackling than be spoon-fed jesus mumbo-jumbo.

I'd kick jesus out for free if it meant I were to take ownership of 2000 perfectly good market-quality pigs. Actually, sod the pigs, I'd do it for no charge at all.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Chundles said:
I reckon I'd prefer to be tucking into a nice roast pork with veggies and apple sauce and good crackling than be spoon-fed jesus mumbo-jumbo.

I'd kick jesus out for free if it meant I were to take ownership of 2000 perfectly good market-quality pigs. Actually, sod the pigs, I'd do it for no charge at all.
Someone's in a good mood today :D

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
Chundles said:

You swine!

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
We bought a whole pig for a pig roast this summer and it was a snout under $200.

I have no idea what wholesale pigs go for - go check pork belly futures. :p

L

Lau

agp said:

Cheers.

I suspect the value of currency might have changed slightly since biblical times, to be honest.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
Lau said:
I suspect the value of currency might have changed slightly since biblical times, to be honest.

I doubt it. I'm sure you can still get a good sized pig for three slaves and a turnip in some places.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.