Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
View attachment 59499

Yeah that's right, It's a shaving cream brush; although, I recommend it being used without the shaving cream for dusting off a keyboard. ;) I use one several times a day because I don't like pesty dust on my keyboard. They are very soft and work very quickly removing dust. You can even use it on the screen. :)

ripfrankwhite

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2005
Hmm...I guess.
But I just use the air duster when the time comes. I use a silicone keyboard cover to keep everything out. I am suprised at how much collects on this thing. And it would have all ended up in my MacBook. Smart purchase.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
The best thing I've found for screen dust (and presumably for keyboards, too) is this cheap brush made from thin nylon strands. You shake it to make it static and when you brush it across the screen the dust adheres to it. 100% physics; and instead of just moving the dust to another place it actually attracts the dust. I'm sure you could buy similar anywhere.

Because I have an unpleasant chore to attend to I procrastinated a bit by taking a picture:

Attachments

• brush.jpg
    brush.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 81

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I just tried this technique and it did wonders to my Dell keyboard. It did leave a lot of hairs behind but they were relatively easily to remove. Thankfully they didn't stick to the plastic. Thanks for the tip MACDRIVE. :cool:

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static! Static!

:mad:

:D

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I use iSkin keyboard covers; so, I just wash iSkin when it gets dusty. I also have a rubber air blower (the one you can dust off your digital camera's lens and internal components) if needed, along with the compressed air can.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I used a cover on my old G3 keyboard. Of course, that was white on black and I couldn't see a damn thing on the keys. But every cloud has a silver lining - I can now type 300 words a second with my eyes closed. :D

Still 'Static' :cool:

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I have a special soft spot for static. My childhood would not have been the same without my polyester shirts and the blue sparks they used to make when I undressed in the dark.

Ahh...they were the days. :) /:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.