Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyguy451

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Hi all; I need a way to control my iMac from my Macbook when I am on the road. Obviously I would expect to be able to do this with Apple Remote Desktop but the specs don't specifically mention that it will work via internet. Am I missing something or perhaps misreading it? The other question I have is about options to ARD. This program costs $299 and is a licence for 10 systems. All I need is a licence for 1 system and even at that I won't be using it for really complex administrative tasks just simple things. Are there options?

Thanks

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Misreading it.. it DEFINITELY works over the internet.

However, since it's pricey and you only need to access 1 computer, I'd look into VNC as a free alternative. There's already a VNC server on your Mac as part of the remote desktop prefpane, and there's plenty of VNC clients out there to connect to it with.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I use Chicken of the VNC to control my parents' Mac, 1200 miles away. Works like a charm.

Download Chicken of the VNC and put it in your Applications folder on your laptop. This lets you control other Macs.

On your desktop, go into System Preferences...->Sharing and turn on "Apple Remote Desktop" in the "Services" tab (you'll need to specify access privileges, and, in particular, a password). If your firewall is on, you'll need to go to the Sharing->Firewall tab and add a new rule ("New...", Port Name->Other, call it "VNC", and open up port 5900). This sets up your Mac to be controlled.

If you have a network router, you'll need to tell it to send traffic on port 5900 to you Mac's IP (intranet IP, like 192.168.1.xxx) address. This forwards VNC traffic to your Mac when it is to be controlled. Make sure your iMac always has the same IP so the router forwarding will work.

Use a service like DynDNS to create a domain name others can access (like myname.homeip.net). This lets you find your internet IP address while on the road.

To disable it, just go into the Sharing preferences panel and turn off Apple Remote Desktop.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
the VNC server with the OS X is not very good, well, not from my experience, it's somehow very slow... (i dont particularly understand why, but i'm not the only one expericing that... maybe someoen can help me).. anyhow, i use OSXvnc, which is blazing (well, haha, fast enough to be usable) (under the same enviroment)

i haven't tried chicken of VNC, how does that compare to either of the previous?(or is chicken of VNC only a client?)

also... where do i find DynDNS mac client?
edit: nv, i foudn it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.