Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benjaminpg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Is anyone else having trouble with software update. When I run it, it finds all the software needed to be updated. Then when I try to download it I get this message:

The installation has encountered a problem. None of the checked updates were successfully installed. To try again, choose Download Checked Items from the Update menu and open the package from the Desktop.

I clicked OK, and tried the suggested procedure, and got the same dialog. I also am unable to download Safari from apple's site. I thought just the developer seeds of Safari were pulled.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I used to have that problem. On the menu bar you can find an option which says "Download checked items to desktop". Download them to your desktop and then install them after that, and you won't have this trouble.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
i find that when i download updates thru software updates, the download freezes halfway through. Most annoying!

It always gets a little slow on the first day there's a new update to be downloaded.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Look for a standalone installer on Apple's web site. That's the number one solution to problems with SWU.

Dan

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
yup - thats my general tactic; not quite as convenient as swu. winxp does win hands down on the update front.

mind you, i guess the windows one does get a lot more usage! looking for updates for windows is like looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. On a mac; it's fun! i love getting updates

me = update whore. why? i dunno :D

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by mrjamin
yup - thats my general tactic; not quite as convenient as swu. winxp does win hands down on the update front.

mind you, i guess the windows one does get a lot more usage! looking for updates for windows is like looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. On a mac; it's fun! i love getting updates

Yeah, windows update is a necessity for windows users. On a mac it is like opening a christmas present when it pops up.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
ive had problems before. i fix most problems by unchecking the check daily buttons or rechecking them.

iJon

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Originally posted by mrjamin

Yeah everytime i start up my XP machine it keeps saying there are updates available for your system, it is strongly recommended that you downlaod these. I think to myself, wow, another hole was found in their OS, what a surprise....

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
I REALLY REALLY REAALYYYY FU**ING HATE IT when it XP says "It is strongly recommended that you update Windoze" and then when I close it it says "you will be reminded again".. WTF?? So what I find out that that update is a buggy one or something?? I HAVE TO BE CONSTANTLY REMINDED TO DOWNLOAD SOMETHING I DON'T WANT TO????

FU** MICROSOFT.

irmongoose

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.