Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
I was just wondering how much an employee at one of Apple's retail store make? Not a Mac Genius but just a sales associate. Anyone know??

kaizer

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2003
Malaysia
I'm curious too! In Malaysia, a normal wage for a shop asistant/sales is around RM1200~RM1800 (for a 10 hour job). the chepest PowerBook cost RM9XXX. And the apple store I frequent, their sales team uses PowerBooks! Maybe it's their staff purchase scheme, but surely no that much difference in pricing (if it's indeed that much of a price difference, I'm tempted to switch work too!)

Anyone, any idea?

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
I remember when i interviewed for a position they were a bit hazy on the pay and for the most part would only tell me that they were going to be on par with the rest of the stores in the KOP mall. Which from my own research would be around 7-9 an hr.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Not very well...

squat. bupkiss. zip. zilch.

that is why most apple store employees are college age kids. only ones that can afford to live on less than $10/hr. Too bad the cute woman doesn't work at the Palisades store anymore (she got a real tech job).

*sigh*

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I always wondered what a 'genius bar' employee got. Anyone here know? Any previous 'geniuses' who moved on?

And what about the managers?

Personally, even though I've thought about applying for a job parttime, I don't think I could do retail. I'd prefer working on the computer, not telling/helping people with computers....

D :D

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by dukestreet
I always wondered what a 'genius bar' employee got. Anyone here know? Any previous 'geniuses' who moved on?

And what about the managers?

Personally, even though I've thought about applying for a job parttime, I don't think I could do retail. I'd prefer working on the computer, not telling/helping people with computers....

D :D

I know one of the Genius Bar guys at the Roosevelt Field store and he doesn't make very much at all. He also doesn't know too much either. So far I've been to 2 Genius Bars here in NY (Roosevelt Field and SoHo) and neither of the guys were geniuses by far. I don't think the test can be very hard for that job. I think I knew more about Macs than anyone working in the joint. The sales guys had trouble answering even the most basic of questions. I've never been impressed with the help. I think the hiring is based WAY more on customer service and overall "jollyness" than on real Apple knowledge, which is fine because it's a store but not fine because it leaves a bad impression on real Macheads. That's my $.02

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
Originally posted by tjwett
I know one of the Genius Bar guys at the Roosevelt Field store and he doesn't make very much at all. He also doesn't know too much either. So far I've been to 2 Genius Bars here in NY (Roosevelt Field and SoHo) and neither of the guys were geniuses by far. I don't think the test can be very hard for that job. I think I knew more about Macs than anyone working in the joint. The sales guys had trouble answering even the most basic of questions. I've never been impressed with the help. I think the hiring is based WAY more on customer service and overall "jollyness" than on real Apple knowledge, which is fine because it's a store but not fine because it leaves a bad impression on real Macheads. That's my $.02

thats the point, these guys are not going to have to answer a tech question of these mac heads :p they have to know just enough to make the sale.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by daniel77
thats the point, these guys are not going to have to answer a tech question of these mac heads :p they have to know just enough to make the sale.

Oh man, thats so true. Its all about the sale. That's America baby.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by daniel77

I know you're right but it was just disappointing, especially at the "flagship" store in SoHo. I guess it's just a store like any other. I wonder if the even want like total Mac fanatics working there, might freak people out a bit;)

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Re: Not very well...

Originally posted by yzedf
squat. bupkiss. zip. zilch.

that is why most apple store employees are college age kids. only ones that can afford to live on less than $10/hr. Too bad the cute woman doesn't work at the Palisades store anymore (she got a real tech job).

*sigh*
i remember her
she was cool

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.