Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LukeW

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
OK, this is a really stupid problem but it is bugging the hell out of me so any help would be appreciated. Its only started happening recently, but when I have my spread with some layers (lets say some text too) and I want to drag the text over to the left hand side of the page, normally I should be able to click anywhere, or at least in the general area, of the text (when it is selected in the layers menu) to be able to move it, but now it just jumps down to whatever is under it, be it another layer or the background, and moves that instead AND IT IS REALLY ANNOYING!! I now have to zoom in close to the type, make sure I have clicked directly in the centre and then drag it.
Can anyone offer any suggestions how to put it back to normal? I have probably pressed a wrong keyboard combination or something and turned the option on/off, so if anyone can tell me what to do to put it right I would appreciate it as it is driving me insane!! :D

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Click on the move tool, then look in the options bar up top. Try ticking/unticking the Auto Select Layer box to see how that affects things.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Also note that the Cmd key will temporarily reverse this checkbox.

I find it handy to leave the box unchecked and use the back rocker switch on my stylus (which is set to Cmd) to temporarily use the move tool to select a layer.

LukeW

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
iMeowbot said:
Click on the move tool, then look in the options bar up top. Try ticking/unticking the Auto Select Layer box to see how that affects things.

That did the trick. Thank you both of you!

...told you it was a stupid problem!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.