Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I just noticed after a few weeks of owning a 12 inch PB that when playing a DVD in full screen mode the video is a bit choppy. Yet in the other modes it is as smooth as can be. Is this particular to the 12 in PB (i have had no such problems that I can remember with my iBook) or is the a problem with the DVD player software?

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
there really isnt a need to even go that far. i can almost guarantee you its that the drivers for your video card are extremely first generation. remember that the chipset the new AluBooks use is the Geforce4 mobile. Give the OS another point release and I would bet your problems go away.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
More info

Thanks for the replies. I hope an OS X update will help - supposedly 10.2.5 is on the near horizon.

I have maxed out the PB with 640 mb ram, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by jaguarx
I've found even fullscreen peformance to be perfect, how much ram have you got in yours?
Do you have combo or superdrive in it?
I think all combo drives are affected with this, there were lots of reports about this and I don't think there is a solution of it.. its a flaw in optical device.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I have a combo drive in it the PB.

All I can say is that if it is a defect with the optical drive Apple had better offer a solution. The effect is minor in my opinion (I don't usually watch DVDs in Full Screen mode) but I still expect it to work perfectly when I do.

WilliamGates

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2003
I have seen this anomaly on two different display 12" models at two different locations. (I carried my own DVD movie disk to the stores to check the 12" models out). The flicker is not noticed or considered normal to some who have not owned a 15" Ti model I guess. But I certainly noticed it. Color and picture quality of the 15" looked better also to me. This is why I held out for the 17", which gives smooth DVD playback. Hope new drivers are available to you soon.

By the way, Safari is QUICK.:D

maccarone

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2003
milan
Originally posted by Megaquad
Do you have combo or superdrive in it?
I think all combo drives are affected with this, there were lots of reports about this and I don't think there is a solution of it.. its a flaw in optical device.

Quote:
"I have recently discovered that my 14" ibook (combo), which I bought last year, has serious difficulties reading dvd-r discs (video mpeg2). DVD Player stops randomly at some point in the movie saying it can't read the disc because it's dirty or corrupted (I/O error n. 36). On the other hand my Windows machine reads them easily as well as my PIONEER 444 stand-alone DVD Player.
I would like to know if this is a common issue with COMBO IBOOKS or if there may be a hardware or software problem.
Commercial DVD do not pose any problem."

I have posted this yesterday and based on what you say I think my problem can not be solved, because it's a flaw in the drive.
Is it correct?

gello2424

macrumors member
May 25, 2003
CA
I have two of the 12"PB and I have also noticed that the one with the combo drive does not play the video as clear as the superdrive one. they both have maxed out RAM so I not sure if that is it.

WilliamGates

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2003
It is funny thing I noticed in the 12". The picture is not as fluid as 15" and 17". This was the only thing that prevented me from buying it. When I posted this observance many months ago on other forums some people did not notice the very faint flicker while others did. Since I had a previous 15" it mattered to me. I went to two different stores and observed the same video anomaly in the 12". I think some folks who have never owned the 15" may not notice the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.