Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
I'm going to get a couple of internal new HD's fitted for a couple of late model emacs (1.25 and 1.42).

But I'm not sure what to look for when buying them. I was going to go for 250Gb drives. And I know it should be 7200 rpm but I'm not sure about the size, is it 3.5" or something else. Also is there anything else I need to watch out for like special connections or any other technical thing.

I want to bring the drives and the emacs to the workshop and I don't want them telling me I've brought the wrong type of drive.

As a side issue when I get the old drives back I'd like to reuse them as external drives. Is this a complex procedure or is it just a matter of getting a case and slotting it in.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Any modern 3.5" PATA should work (as opposed to SATA). It'll say either ATA/100 or ATA/133 on the box. The eMac has an ATA/100 bus, but the /133 type drive is backwards compatible.

You can use any number of Firewire or USB 2 enclosures for your old drives. There are a number of different ones available at eshop.macsales.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.