Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
Hi

I was wondering if it was possible to DJ using a PowerBook G4 rather than my current dual CD player and equalizer. I would like to be able to have all my music digitally stored on the laptop and be able to play it from there, is this possible and would I need any software or additional plug ins (eg for the speakers or equalizer)? Is is possible to plug in the large speakers into the laptop?

Thank you
Amy (forever2004)

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Ya it's totally possible. You'll need to invest a bit of $$ first to get on track.

Software like Ableton Live, or Traktor DJ studio is where to start.
Hardware like a Pre amp, a compressor, and you should be pretty much good to go . A RAM upgrade never hurts either.

Cheers

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
You should be fine, however you will definitely want to get a soft pad or something to put your PowerBook on. Club systems tend to pump out too much bass, causing things to shake like crazy, and laptops really don't like shaking (they skip when you shake them, believe me, my MacBook Pro hates it if I sit it on top of my sub :p ).

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
zimv20 said:
quigley -- i don't understand the preamp requirement.

I don't have a laptop

But, doesn't one need something to "boost" the audio output for a real DJ set running through a club soundsystem? Can the Powerbook generate enough of a signal to fully crank out a Full on DJ Set at a large venue?

I'm basing this on a DJ friend who does very well, and he uses a powerbook>preamp>compressor and all his tracks are .Wav to get the loudest fullest sound when he gets booked for a big gig...

I could be wrong, I stopped DJ'ing long ago

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
quigleybc said:
doesn't one need something to "boost" the audio output for a real DJ set running through a club soundsystem? Can the Powerbook generate enough of a signal to fully crank out a Full on DJ Set at a large venue?
maybe your friend was taking the laptop headphone out (which i don't think is a terribly good idea). perhaps he found that the preamp in the mac wasn't very good.

but having a line level signal, either from a laptop line-level out (dunno if any apple laptops have those) or from the USB or firewire interface, would be fine to feed into a venue kit expecting a line level in (e.g. a mixing board).

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
im pretty sure something like the presonus firebox would be fine.
i have one myself and it is very well built and is ideal for mobile use as it is tiny.i havent tried it out in the situation that you would need to use it in so its best to get some more advice before you buy.

it has its own headphone port and pre amp,and you should be able to mix over your headphones before going live to the mixer using the included presonus software mixer.also connections for active speakers so ideal if your using something like the active mackies or jbls that most small clubs tend to use or any other active speakers.

i just use mine for audio production with a pair of active studio monitors, so i have never used it with my previous powerbook for dj use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.