Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Hope I can make my situation clear with my english skills.

I set Azureus to save files on my external drive (called "Extern"). One time I forgot to plug the drive in and Azureus started the download anyway, but told me that there was not enough space left.

I was looking for the file (10 GB) on my PB, but couldn't find it and I realized that 7 GB on my PB were gone.

Then I started iBackUp and it told me as well, that I don't have enough space left, but my external drive was plugged in (70 GB left on it).

iBackUp showed me the path: Tymmz/volumes/extern, but it wasn't my external hard drive, Azureus must have had created a folder called Volumes/Extern.

I can't find anywhere on my PB's hard drive, but I know it is there.

How can I find it?

thx

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
and using terminal? Try the following command:

du -h --max-depth=1

This will list the size of all the sub-directories in your current directory. If it's big (how much did you download; Gigabytes?) you can have a look in that particular directory (cd directoryname)...

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
I opened Azureus and it showed this path. But "Extern" doesn't appear in any other program. E.g. when I want to chose a file for uploading.

Last edited:

tomgis

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2006
hidden volumes

Tymmz said:
View attachment 60255

I opened Azureus and it showed this path. But "Extern" doesn't appear in any other program. E.g. when I want to chose a file for uploading.

I might be wrong but the kind of problem that you describe have always been resolved for me when i use disc warrior.
Disc warrior searches directories file structures and create repaired directories.
I will bet that after using that you will find your hidden file and you get more speed from the computer in general.
i am a newbie so i might be wrong but here we use the program all the time.
Sincerely
Tómgis

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Sorry, I have no idea what to do in Terminal.

I may try Disc Warrior later. thx

Need to go now.

But thank you for the tips.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I was having this same problem, and you described it much better. Seems there would be an easier way than terminal b/c I need those files...

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
Tymmz said:
Sorry, I have no idea what to do in Terminal.

the thing you have to do in terminal is to enter that command I told you about...

but appearantly it is too difficult... so don't bother

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
4np...I've never used Terminal. Do I add the command line into the actual window for the pop-up command window?

Thanks.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Sorry, had to bring my problem back up, because it is really annoying and I have no idea what to do.

My "real" Extern drive is now called "Extern 1" in the path:

path.jpg

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Hey folks, here's what you need to do.

1. Disconnect the external drive that you use for your downloads. This is important!
2. Open up the Terminal app.
3. Type cd /volumes
4. Type ls. You'll see a list of connected drives, one of which will be the default drive you use for torrents. This shouldn't be there (since it's not connected), but it's created by Azureus when you start your downloads after having forgotten to connect your external drive. So, you've got to remove this.
5. Let's say the name of your disconnected external drive is External HD. To remove this folder (and all of it's contents) you type rm -r "External HD". You'll need the quotes if your drive name is more than one word, otherwise they aren't needed.
6. You can then type ls again just to verify that the drive folder has been deleted.
7. Now remind yourself not to start torrent downloads without the external drive connected. ;)

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
telecomm said:

1. Disconnect the external drive that you use for your downloads. This is important!
7. Now remind yourself not to start torrent downloads without the external drive connected. ;)

cheers, worked like a charm!

thanks a lot!

tymmz

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006

2. Open up the Terminal app.
3. Type cd /volumes
4. Type ls. You'll see a list of connected drives, one of which will be the default drive you use for torrents. This shouldn't be there (since it's not connected), but it's created by Azureus when you start your downloads after having forgotten to connect your external drive. So, you've got to remove this.
5. Let's say the name of your disconnected external drive is External HD. To remove this folder (and all of it's contents) you type rm -r "External HD". You'll need the quotes if your drive name is more than one word, otherwise they aren't needed.
6. You can then type ls again just to verify that the drive folder has been deleted.

THanks for this. My wife disconnected everything when I wasn't home last night, and all of my connected drives became "ghosts" so to speak. This little tutorial helped a lot!

IainIain

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
Me too.

I also had this problem too. My external hard disk volumes were replicated on my internal hard disk with the result that the internal disk filled up. I used OmniDiskSweeper to allow me to see the extra Volumes and I then just deleted them to trash by getting OmniDiskSweeper to show them in the finder. (The command line recursive delete did not work fully because I was asked for override permission for every file. Since there were over half a million files it would have taken me some time to do it that way.)

I have not been using any torrent applications, but I do use CarbonCopyCloner on a schedule. So, I am going to stop using that for a while and just mount my external disks normally and see if the problem re-occurs.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
I also had this problem too. My external hard disk volumes were replicated on my internal hard disk with the result that the internal disk filled up. I used OmniDiskSweeper to allow me to see the extra Volumes and I then just deleted them to trash by getting OmniDiskSweeper to show them in the finder. (The command line recursive delete did not work fully because I was asked for override permission for every file. Since there were over half a million files it would have taken me some time to do it that way.)

I have not been using any torrent applications, but I do use CarbonCopyCloner on a schedule. So, I am going to stop using that for a while and just mount my external disks normally and see if the problem re-occurs.

I had exactly the same problem yesterday. Never had it before with CCC. I deleted the folder manually.

DukeEllington

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2009
Found this if you want to move your downloads to a valid drive prior to deleting the hidden volume:

1. Open the terminal window, and cd to your Volumes directory: cd /Volumes/
2. Look at the volumes you have listed: ls
3. You will see that you have two hard drives with the same name. One will have a ' 1' at the end of its name. If not, this isn't your problem -- something else is.
4. Determine which is your real drive and which one is the fake one. I've seen it both ways. The fake drive can either have the ' 1,' or the real one can, regardless of what name shows up in the Finder.
5. Move the files over to your real drive. Type: mv fakedrive/* realdrive /FromFake/, where fakedrive is the name of your "fake" volume, and realdrive is the name of your real one. This will copy your files into a new folder called FromFake that you will be able to access in the Finder easily.
6. Patiently wait while the system copies the files. It will be done when you can type in the Terminal window again.
7. Type rm -r fakedrive on the fake one. Be VERY careful when you rm -r -- you don't want to type the wrong drive, or you will erase all of your files and ruin your day. To help my sanity, I will rename my real drive at the start of this process. Typing mv drive 1 drive yadda yadda can get confusing if you forget which drive is which.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.