Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nightwalker77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2006
hi everybody!
well yesterday i've tried to turn on my G5 but nothing happened,i mean nothing,no click sound NOTHING,i've read some posts and now am quit sure that my power supply is the problem,so i opened the CASE,and removed everything i can remove "i know how to handle these things" but my surprise was when i've tried to remove the main G5 unit, so can anyone help me on this issue,
are there any other way to reach the power supply unit other than removing the G5 processor?is there any iamge or diagram or a plot for the steps,showing the case and the steps....
ps. i have powermac 2.0 Ghz dual core....
please help,and don't ask me to take it to a apple center because we have NONE here.

thanks

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Before totally disassembling your computer, did you try a SMU reset?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300341

And sometimes power issues are static electricity related. You could try removing and reseating all of your ram. This helps sometimes.

Also, powermacs don't use standard PC power supplies. If you are successful in removing it, what are you going to do then? It is near impossible to order apple parts, and different powermac g5 models need different wattage power supplies. If you get the wrong one, it can damage your system (it happened to me: fried my logic board!).

I'd suggest contacting apple by phone to see what your options are. Good luck!

nightwalker77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2006
well that was a fast reply,thank you BUT: (i have tried the button)
freind please help me on this issue,do u know how to remove the power supply?
because am stuck, i need to remove the main processor,but it has two nasty screws (6" long)i don't have the right screw driver,
do you know any possible way to remove the power supply without removing the processor?
thanx

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005

nightwalker77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2006
well...
i saw these pictures before,thanks man...
i think am stuck,i hate apple,i just want somebody who was bold enough to open the case and dugg deeper than the memory slots!!
but thank you my friend...thank you

nightwalker77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2006
I DID IT!!!! it's working again :)

hey everyone!

me and my friend did the miracle,we fixed the power supply :),
i have photos to prove it,and it cost me nothing,a fuse and a vi restore...
so if you trust in your self you can do it,
we went through hell trying to reach the power supply,we removed almost everything...EVERYTHING i mean,till we reached our goal,
the nastiest part was removing the logic board,it's attached to metal case with 6 huge screws,and to unscrew them you need to go under the main processor unit with no space to maneuver,
man it was a lot fun,and we did it so if you want any help just ask me,and you will save the money and time,the power supply market price is around 300$...
my main problem was that there's no apple center here where am located (SYRIA) and the closest one is in Ireland !!! so ... i did it my self :)

cheers:D

astronaut

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
Having the same issue!!!

Can you tell me with some details how to get to the power supply?

Thanks in advance.

bkstroh

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2009
what was wrong with your power supply

Hi i think i have a problem with my power supply too. What ended up being the problem with your?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.