Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
L

Lau

londonweb said:
Can you add bullet points to a list of text in inDesign CS1 ? How?

many thanks!

You can insert a bullet character by going to Type > Insert Special Character > Bullet Character, but I'm not sure if there's a more automatic way to do it. Although presumably you could set up a paragraph style for a list that would set up the formatting so you could apply it to all lists.

Edit: Or Option + 8. :D

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
HA HA i beat you to it! Nah nah!

speaking of special characters, you can (in OSX) use the option key in combo with the keyboard characters to create "special" characters.

Like option-****-8 i think makes the "degree" temperature sign

I say "i think" because I am at work, on a P.O.S. Dell.

And I still need to use InDesign myself.

In windows, how do I do such things as simply as in OSX? When I hold Alt or Control and hit a key, nothing happens except some shortcuts sometimes.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Sdashiki said:
Like option-****-8 i think makes the "degree" temperature sign

I say "i think" because I am at work, on a P.O.S. Dell.
Ooh, that's strange. I didn't know that.

I've always been using Option-0, which is one less key, so...neener neener neener! :)

(But option-shift-8 does work)

L

Lau

Sdashiki said:
HA HA i beat you to it! Nah nah!

speaking of special characters, you can (in OSX) use the option key in combo with the keyboard characters to create "special" characters.

Like option-****-8 i think makes the "degree" temperature sign.

Did you perchance forget the f in shift? :p

(It does do the degree sign, by the way.)

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
I'd go with the paragraph style like Lau suggested. Or do you do your formating using the space bar? ;)

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
london
Thanks guys!

For those of you on POS Dells , yes it is option+8 , and option + shift + 8 gives a degree. In fact all the number keys give special characters in combination with option and/or shift.

We learn something new every day. Now I can get on with the most boring design job in the world. A presentation poster for a talk on 'Do Contaminant Levels of Polychlorinated Biphenyls Really Affect Thyroid Function?'. I kid you not.

Oh well, it's all work, shouldn't complain.

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
london
Mydriasis said:
I'd go with the paragraph style like Lau suggested. Or do you do your formating using the space bar? ;)

Actually I normally just print everything out in one huge paragraph and painstakingly arrange the layout by hand with a pair of scissors and some glue. :)

fireball370

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2006
bay area, ca
this will apply a bullet or special charcater to a list:

open your paragraph palette.
go to the little arrow in the top corner.
click on bullets and numbering.

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
london
fireball370 said:
this will apply a bullet or special charcater to a list:

open your paragraph palette.
go to the little arrow in the top corner.
click on bullets and numbering.

This is weird because on my version there is no bullets and numbering option. Also if I look it up in help, nothing comes up. I'm using CS1

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
fireball370 said:
I'm on a mac, and I don't remember what the palettes look like in windows. I *think* they look the same? :confused:

no no no.

in word, in ichat, in FCP, in anything, on a mac, you can hold option and type away and get special characters.

in windows, what is this equivalent, does it exist?

fireball370

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2006
bay area, ca
londonweb said:
This is weird because on my version there is no bullets and numbering option. Also if I look it up in help, nothing comes up. I'm using CS1

i'm such a nerd. sorry :eek: i totally missed the part where you said you were using CS1 the first time. :-(

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Sdashiki said:
in windows, what is this equivalent, does it exist?
No. To type special characters you have to learn complicated altkey+longstringofnumbersonlyfromthekeypad combinations.

tobefirst said:
I've always been using Option-0
I had no idea option-0 did the same as option-shift-8! Kind of strange. I've been using option-shift-8 for years.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Bullets always look too small for my taste.

I prefer to make a custom shape, (ie a circle to the size I like), copy and paste it into the type. You also have more choice, like making squares or some other more interesting shape like an elipse.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
apfhex said:
I had no idea option-0 did the same as option-shift-8! Kind of strange. I've been using option-shift-8 for years.
They are different characters. Shift-option-8 is a real degree symbol, while option-0 is a superscripted letter o used with numbering in some languages. (option-0 is for masculine , option-9 for feminine)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
dogbone said:
I'm almost regretting that thread about you know what. ;)
It could be worse, an active demi could have picked up on the idea and made a plague of it.

jovenfuego

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2006
San Jose
Bullet

If you want to do bullets in InDesign (I'm assuming you want to sorta imitate MS Word) you will need to fiddle around with the tabs function. Hopefully this helps a bit.

Snark

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2003
jovenfuego said:
If you want to do bullets in InDesign (I'm assuming you want to sorta imitate MS Word) you will need to fiddle around with the tabs function. Hopefully this helps a bit.
If you're referring to setting up a hanging indent, not much fiddling needed. Shouldn't take more than ten or twenty seconds in the tab ruler. Set it up as a paragraph style and you're ready to rock and roll.

Snark

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Snark said:
If you're referring to setting up a hanging indent, not much fiddling needed. Shouldn't take more than ten or twenty seconds in the tab ruler. Set it up as a paragraph style and you're ready to rock and roll.

Snark
Actually, a simple cmd-\ will create a hanging indent without ever going into the tabs or paragraph palette.

Snark

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2003
tobefirst said:
Actually, a simple cmd-\ will create a hanging indent without ever going into the tabs or paragraph palette.
Shoot, I thought there was a shortcut for that, but I'm used to setting them manually and couldn't remember for sure.

Thanks. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.